Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Looking for sewing ideas for a little gift to an elderly person >

Looking for sewing ideas for a little gift to an elderly person

Looking for sewing ideas for a little gift to an elderly person

Old 09-26-2013, 08:41 AM

Default Looking for sewing ideas for a little gift to an elderly person

Hi everybody,
I bought a beautiful vintage Bernina 831 a few months ago from a woman in her 80's who was moving to a senior's home. The woman was very attached to her sewing machine and she was sad to let it go, but happy to see it would be used and loved by a "new generation" (I'm 38, but I think she was thinking I was much youngerl ) She is speaking only a little english, but her daughter was there, and I exchanged a few emails with her before and after the meeting.
Well, I have seriously fallen in love with this machine. It was well looked after (serviced every year, oiled correctly, etc.) so it is a real pleasure to use. I feel grateful to have this machine in my hand.
I would like to send a little gift to the previous owner; I could ask her adress to her daughter and mail it. I was thinking of something that I could sew with the machine, so it would be meaningful. A lap quilt would be too big (I don't know where she is living now and if she would have the place). Any idea? What would you make for a elderly woman that you don't know but to whom you want to express some gratitude?
Thanks,
Annie
Old 09-26-2013, 08:44 AM

A lap quilt was my first though as the elderly always seem to need them, you can make a small one & I'm sure shed love it!
Old 09-26-2013, 08:47 AM

Maybe a bed runner or a shoulder wrap quilt. Maybe a mini wall quilt. That is very nice of you and I'm sure she would appreciate it.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:56 AM

Are you familiar with the senior center she is moving to?

At Christmas last year, our guild put together gift bags for the residents. Some of the things that were included were placemats and pillow cases. If it's a situation where she wouldn't be eating in her own unit/room, maybe a few mug rugs, instead. Even in nursing homes, residents usually have a pitcher or glass of water or juice. Anything to add a little color and cheer.

What a lovely idea to acknowledge that while something she enjoyed and looked after is now being enjoyed and used by you! I'm sure she'll appreciate anything that you make with the machine.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:58 AM

She should have room for a lap quilt, if she's in a seniors' home.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:59 AM
Power Poster

I also would suggest a lap quilt, on the small side. If she is not living in a private home, make sure that you clearly label it with her name. Sadly thinks can go missing.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:08 AM
Power Poster

as an 'older' person, i'd love to receive this as a gift http://www.quiltingboard.com/links-r...s-t230949.html
Old 09-26-2013, 09:13 AM

I think I would make a bag to hang on a walker. I am sure if she is not already using one that it won't be long until she does. Then she can carry whatever she wants with her leaving her hands free to manuver the walker around. What a nice thing for you to do. I would like to find one of those around here, but sadly I don't know if anyone uses anything other than a Singer or a Kenmore.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:42 AM

The walker bag is a good idea. If she is not using a walker, the bag could be hung on the bed's side rail to hold small items like a paperback book, the TV remote, etc. I'm sure she will love anything that you make.
Sue
Old 09-26-2013, 10:15 AM
Power Poster

going along with Nan's recommendation, I love these boxes and bowls that Geta made:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...ls-t20569.html

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...es-t64534.html