Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
looking for short cut ideas for cutting these blocks >

looking for short cut ideas for cutting these blocks

looking for short cut ideas for cutting these blocks

Old 01-26-2021, 07:54 AM

Pocoellie, the ruler sounds interesting. I have never seen nor heard of it before.

Rhonda, this might be a great way also, sewing two strips together and cutting them into the blocks.

My daughter will pick out the fabrics this week and we can look at the placements we would like on the table runner. I think I may need to pick up another piece or two of fabric.
Old 01-26-2021, 08:14 AM

I have become quite lazy when it comes to cutting since I got my Accuquilt. Though there are still times where I need to cut using a rotary cutter. IMHO the rotary cutter was the best invention ever for quilting since you could cut multiple strips sew them together and cross cut pieces for 4- patches or 9- patches. Now that I have been using the Accuquilt it is so fast at cutting. I don't recommend this system for a new quilter however. Learn the basics first.
Old 01-27-2021, 07:27 AM

If I want a certain amount of 3" or 2 1/2" squares I just cut strips in that dimension and then subcut to whatever size I want. You are getting a lot of ideas here on this forum so good luck to you and I think everyone has their own way of doing things too. I remember my grandmother would cut cardboard templates out of cereal boxes and draw around them and I would help her cut all the pieces out with scissors. Quilting has come a long way and wouldn't our grandmothers love the rotary cutter.
Old 01-27-2021, 04:59 PM

I did check out the ruler thanks for the information.
Old 01-28-2021, 04:47 AM

Loralee, you're welcome.
Old 01-28-2021, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by Loralee View Post
I tried to post the photos and will need to wait until our daughter comes this evening to help me post these 3 photos. She helped me last week but I have forgotten how I posted the one photo.
Really cute runners!!

In this first photo, it kind of looks like all the lights are the same, so I would be tempted in cut all my darks and one light into strips (lets say 3" wide for an example) and sew one dark and a light tog. Press the seams (I generally press to t he dark) then cut the sewn strip into 3" pieces If you want a variation in the combinations, I would cut the lights into long strips and cut my darks into strips that are a multiple of 3" in length (ie 6,9.12,15 plus a smidge for squaring up) and just strip piece them tog.

The second runner looks like a trip around the world. I would cut long strips , sew then tog in the correct order and then sew the first strip to the last (you will now have a circle) cut your strips then "unpick" between the top block and the bottom block. This blog has some pics that might help

https://sewcreatelive.blogspot.com/2...und-world.html

Cute runners - you have given me some ideas for next years Christmas gifts!!

Old 01-28-2021, 10:13 AM

I appreciate your taking the time to tell me about the June Tailor Shape ruler.
Old 01-28-2021, 11:09 AM

Strip piecing is the way to go. The June Tailor ruler is great and the Stripology one even better- wouldn’t be without.
Old 01-28-2021, 01:06 PM

QuiltCut also makes a ruler with guides for cutting strips in various widths, and I've been very happy with it. When researching my options, I found it interesting that there were a number of comments in the reviews about the QuiltCut having aspects that made people prefer it over other brands - one was that the slots were a bit longer than another brand.

That said, you don't need one of these fancier rulers to cut strips, squares and rectangles quickly with a rotary cutter. The basics are simply a mat, a rotary cutter and a clear ruler with a good lines. A 6" x 24" ruler will let you do a wide variety of cutting. If you do a google search for rotary cutting videos, you can find lots of videos that will show you how it all works and give you some good tips. Important safety tip: *always* retract the cutting blade when you aren't holding the cutter and make sure your other hand is well/safely placed before you start cutting.