Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Looking for suggestion on quilting  a photo quilt? >

Looking for suggestion on quilting a photo quilt?

Looking for suggestion on quilting a photo quilt?

Old 06-23-2012, 03:32 PM

Smile Looking for suggestion on quilting a photo quilt?

I am new to longarm quilting and I have been asked if I would quilt a photo memory quilt for a friend.
I was thinking about doing a meander design. Would that be the best choice or not? It is for a high school a graduate (boy).
Also would it be best as an all over quilting even through the photos or just up to the photos?
Thanks ahead for any ideas. Connie
Old 06-23-2012, 03:42 PM

A lot would depend on what the batting asks for in distance of quilting....I would not meander thru the pictures if at all possible..perhaps just outline the photos? It would help if you could post a pic of the top
Old 06-23-2012, 04:04 PM

I have not recieved the quilt from her as of yet. Maybe Wed. night. I am new to this site and would probably need help posting a picture.
If I could figure out the posting I would love to share a picture of a quilt I just finished for my soon to be grandson.
I know I just went off the real question here. I am sorry, I just thought it turned out better than I had thought it would
Old 06-23-2012, 04:05 PM

I think she will be using W/N or an 80/20 batting.
Old 06-23-2012, 05:29 PM

I would avoid sewing over the pictures. It will likely ruin them. I would outline them instead. Once you post pix, it will be easier to comment on the design.
Old 06-23-2012, 06:11 PM
Power Poster

I understand that quilting photo quilts can be quite challenging. There have been a lot of conversations about it on the longarm yahoo groups, and on this site. Hopefully the people who constructed the quilt will have thought about all the issues and it will be ready to longarm. Good luck!
Old 06-25-2012, 08:09 AM

I've done a number of photo quilts. I don't recommend quilting in the picture. It does mess things up! Use the thinnest batting you can. As far as the quilting, you have to let the quilt decide that. I haven't done much with longarm, but for a DM, I usually go with meandering.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by cstucke_1 View Post
I have not recieved the quilt from her as of yet. Maybe Wed. night. I am new to this site and would probably need help posting a picture.
If I could figure out the posting I would love to share a picture of a quilt I just finished for my soon to be grandson.
I know I just went off the real question here. I am sorry, I just thought it turned out better than I had thought it would
to post photos, you typically need to re-size them. I use my Microsoft Picture Manager software and resize the photo to "large web size". Then, start your post, click "go advance" in the lower right of the screen and browse for your photo on your computer, click upload once you have chosen your photo and wait......this is important......takes a few minutes. DO NOT preview your post or the photo will dissappear. You can search here on this site for help in posting photos in case I have missed any important step (I probably have!!!)
Old 06-25-2012, 08:25 AM

SID around the pictures, but don't quilt on the pictures - that ruins the pictures and if you make a mistake you can't remove the quilting without leaving holes in the pictures. If you have difficulty quilting a straight line around the pictures, you can do a slightly wavy line, going into the picture 1/8".