Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Looking for the support pole/rod goes under table >

Looking for the support pole/rod goes under table

Looking for the support pole/rod goes under table

Old 08-17-2010, 06:10 AM

I know this sounds crazy, but I have been looking for the tension rod, that has rubber stoppers of discs at each end that goes under those weak plastic church banquet tables, or even the solid ones. I seem to get stuck in the middle of these tables when I go to Quilt classes. My machine jumps around because the table is not stable in the center. I saw one of these poles/rods on a site one day, click on it and they were sold out...stupid me, I did not write down the site to inquire. One lady told me that Staples used to have a wooden one...they don't anymore. I have googled, Table support pole, Tension Rod, table brace....can't find anything. Can anyone help, please.
My Babylock dealer and Janome dealer both had told me that the machine has to be on a stable table or surface....Frustrating in class when I can't sew very fast.
Diana in TD
Old 08-17-2010, 06:17 AM

Would a tension curtain rod work? Walmart has them. Or a shower curtain Rod
Old 08-17-2010, 06:20 AM

LOL, that's what I was thinking, those spring tension shower curtain rods.
Old 08-17-2010, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by Up North
Would a tension curtain rod work? Walmart has them. Or a shower curtain Rod
That's what I was going to suggest,lol!!! Also set your machine on the rubberized shelf/drawer liner. It'll help with the moving of the machine.
Old 08-17-2010, 06:23 AM
Banned

If you are near an IKEA store, they have adjustable table legs. Check their web site.
Old 08-17-2010, 06:42 AM

All great ideas! Thank you so much.
Di inTX
Old 08-17-2010, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by Lady Diana
I seem to get stuck in the middle of these tables when I go to Quilt classes. My machine jumps around because the table is not stable in the center. Frustrating in class when I can't sew very fast. Diana in TD
If you're taking a class at a shop and paying for it, why not tell the owners of your situation (which is anyone situation that sits in that spot).

Tell them you think THEY NEED TO DO SOMETHING to correct this 'bad seat' or you'll start rethinking signing up for anymore classes. Maybe you're 'fellow quilters' would want to know about the Bad Seat situation...and they can comment also.

I don't think it's your responsibility to provide good sewing accomodations if you're paying.

If it's at a guild meeting or at a friends house - get there earlier! LOL - OR - get a piece of plywood cut to fit the entire length of the table(s) and keep it at your guild/friend's place.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:47 AM

I finally gave up. Ibought one of those Lifewtime tables that is about 26" x 17" and has 3 different heights. I use it a lot as I do get together with others at our homes.

Luckily when I go to sew-in we tend to have only 2 people per table so each can have an end.

I do like the idea of adjustable legs from IKEA though and believe the guild or LQS should provide them as a service to those attending.

ali