Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: looking for topic--cost of making a quilt?

Some one posted a while back--the cost that goes into making a quilt. I can find it. Some one asked me to make a double size quilt --very detailed. He thought $200 was too much. I want to print out all the costs that it takes to make one , and she had it charted out pretty good. Does anyone remember where it was?

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-125917-1.htm

oh... someone beat me to it...

Blog Entries
    this person is getting a great deal. I know a lady who is finishing off a bunch of quilt tops for a man who's mom died before she could get them done. To do the backing, batting and quilting the first smaller one cost him over 200 and he thought that was cheap; your guy would also get the the top for that price. My son asked me why I didn't make them to sell; I told him that most people don't realize how much you spend in fabric alone let alone the time you spend putting it together and all. They see the ones at WM and think they can get one hand made and not pay that much more for it.Not from me.

Blog Entries
    This is one case where I would just say no! If he wants an intricate double size quilt for under $200, there's no way he's going to come up to a reasonable amount.

MTS
    Banned
    Very timely:

The Quilt Show (Ricky Tims and Alex Anderson's online show/website) is currently showing a preview episode of the "Why Quilts Matter:History, Art and Politics" series from Shelly Zegart - soon to be shown on PBS.

This particular episode deals with the value of quilts, and the behind the scenes of the quilt marketplace here in the US and world.

You do need to be signed up - but can view the episode even as a basic (free) member.

Here's a link to the episode:
    http://www.thequiltshow.com/os/whyquiltsmatter.php

For $200, that's a bargain.
    Let him buy a comforter in KMart for $20. ;-)

Wow maybe she should go with you to get the fabric and batting and thread and I bet she changes her mind. Most dont understand the cost of fabric now a days. I have taken people with me and they are in shock. Good luck with your quilt.

My mother sewed for years and made many of the clothes I and my sister wore. People were always offering to pay her to make things for them and she always declined. She said they would never being willing to pay what her time was worth and she wasn't willing to do it for less.

Same deal for quilting!!

Power Poster
    tell him to get one at the store!

Somehow I don't think I would even bother trying to justify the cost. My estimate would be a LOT higher to begin with, and if he thought it was too high then I would tell him to make his own.

Blog Entries
    when asked i tell people- a queen size quilt starts at $500 and goes up from there- what did you have in mind?
    either they choke-and walk away- or they are serious and we talk.
    i can recommend a couple amish quilt shops in northern Michigan- he could go browse- i love looking at their quilts--they start at $425...and go up from there

Quote Originally Posted by PurplePassion
    Some one posted a while back--the cost that goes into making a quilt. I can find it. Some one asked me to make a double size quilt --very detailed. He thought $200 was too much. I want to print out all the costs that it takes to make one , and she had it charted out pretty good. Does anyone remember where it was?
    WHY are you even bothering with this person? You do realize that for your offer of $200 your labor would be done completely for free???

run away from this order as fast as you can - you'll be losing money at $200

I made a twin that the materials for cost me $250.00

Blog Entries
    This is my 'time card' for a queen sized log cabin with 1-1/2" strips.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I would tell him to buy a sewing machine, material, batting, and thread, tools, and many hours of time set aside and make it himself. Oh, and pay someone to quilt it and bind it too!

Yes, this is the one , thank you. I will have to try to redo it for a Double size quilt.I don't really like making them for people that want to buy them. I made a twin size very detailed one for someone and charged them $125. and he complained later about me charging him an arm and a leg. I would much rather make them from my fabric the way I want to and give them to charities and shelters.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkys_mom
    My mother sewed for years and made many of the clothes I and my sister wore. People were always offering to pay her to make things for them and she always declined. She said they would never being willing to pay what her time was worth and she wasn't willing to do it for less.

Same deal for quilting!!
    GOD BLESS YOUR MOM THAT IS SEW TRUE OF ANY WOMAN I THINK NOT JUST QUILTING OR SEWING ECT.

I have refused to make any quilts for anyone who has asked. I only want to do it when it is my choice, on my time schedule and then there can be no complaints when given as a gift.
    Some people realize how much time you have in a quilt, but they really don't know til they have made one. Also, the cost of a quilt, same thing.

Blog Entries
    I hope you told him no.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-125917-1.htm
    I printed it and going to frame it & put it in my sewing room. Sometimes I need to remember my value as a quilter when I get someone like him.

I would tell him...........'good luck if you can find someone dumb enuf to do it for that'!!!

Blog Entries
    I know when I made my son's quilt (my avatar), I kept track of just the materials used and that was almost $400. That didn't include the tutoring I needed to make the flying geese circles and learning paper-piecing, etc. etc. etc.

Since this IS a "one-of-a-kind", I've seriously considered having it appraised and getting it insured. My quilt instructor said it's probably worth around $2500.

When my son comes home for a visit, he brings it with him so he knows where it is....makes me feel so good to know how much he loves his quilt.

If your customer is starting out with attitude $200 is to much DO NOT DO IT FOR HIM. Nothing will go right in this transaction, it is starting out bad and will only go downhill.

Too many people on QF have mentioned that quilting for $$ and doing someone else's pattern or idea takes the "fun" out of quilting. Twice I've had people ask me for a quit. My neice or said "anything to do with water" (she white water rafts, among other things) and I couldn't come up with any idea at all! I finally asked her to go to a quilt shop and buy 5 yards of fabric she really liked. I thought this might give me an idea for a design (I could use it on the back,if not the front), and also give her an idea of the cost. Now this is a neice I love dearly. She sent me some slightly varigated fabric (from JoAnn's I'm sure) and it looked so plain that I suddenly felt free to do whatever I wanted. I did a bardello (I didn't know it was called that and I may be misspelling it) and on the back I stitched a panel of circular waterfall design. She told me she was thrilled.

Her daughter came up to me and said "I love hummingbirds and lime green." I was free to do what ever, within those perimeters. Her quilt is my avatar.

The point of all this is, it can be deadening to make a quilt that isn't "yours". I'd be so careful before doing so. Either sew for those you love, for charity (a chance to do that new pattern or just to go wild for a bit), or, if you need money, then for what it really costs + labor.

Blog Entries
    You know that's what just frys my a##. I'd tell him to go to Walmart, Kmart, or Sears and purchase on of their fine crafted quilts. He will get exactly what he pays for. Better yet tell him after he's purchased his family heirloom to bring it in and you'll compare to one of yours; show him what he get for his money. (Boy do I feel better! :shock: )

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast