Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Loops and birds nests on backing of Avante >

Loops and birds nests on backing of Avante

Loops and birds nests on backing of Avante

Old 08-14-2020, 12:56 PM

Default Loops and birds nests on backing of Avante

Hello! I could really use some help. For 3 days I've been trying to use a pantograph. I'm able to sew and everything sews beautiful for a while but then the thread starts making random loops and progresses into birds nests. The thread is not coming out of the tension disc or spring. We started using a net and my MIL who I share the machine with came over to watch the top thread as I sewed and could find nothing getting stuck while sewing. This is something that happens after I've been sewing for a bit and not in the beginning. Any ideas of what would make the upper tension change while sewing before the dealer comes out? I'm using Omni on top and Sofine in the bobbin. Thank you!
Old 08-14-2020, 01:39 PM

I am assuming you have unthreaded and rethreaded making sure everything is threaded right. I am assuming that the loops and bird's nests are on the back of the quilt or on they on the top? Does the loops and nests occur when you are moving in a certain direction or do they occur only in a certain position...like at one end of the quilt, the middle or near the back of the take up roller.> Is this something new. Size of needle.? It is helpful to know the specifics so we can give you some hibts,
Old 08-14-2020, 01:54 PM

Hi, It is only happening on the back. I can tell something is off though because it will start to sound funny. The top thread looks wonderful. Yes, we have rethreaded multiple times and after we rethread it it goes back to sewing fine for a while and then the loops will start happening again. Every time after this happens the thread is still in the tension disc and spring. We've used new bobbins at 180 with So Fine. I'm using a panto that has constant changes of direction so it's hard to tell if there's a particular direction. It has also happened all throughout the quilt so no specific place. Thanks for your reply!
Old 08-14-2020, 01:57 PM

Also, yesterday I was able to go almost 2 rows without it happening but it eventually did again. Same tension, same bobbin, no changes and top and bottom were great until that point.. Thread was still in tension disc and spring.
Old 08-14-2020, 02:14 PM

Are you using prewound bobbins or are you winding your own? When I have issues like that I wind a new bobbin using a different bobbin, I change my needle, rethread my machine, and give it a good cleaning and a drop of oil, and start sewing on a scrap till I’m confident my issue has been fixed. What machine do you have? I also use the same thread top and bobbin.
I’m sorry your having issues, someone with far more experience is sure to stop by and offer better advice.
Old 08-14-2020, 02:23 PM

Thank you Lisa. I have an Avante and we are winding our own bobbins. We bought some Magna glides for the first time and was thinking of trying those with the Glide thread on top which we've also never used but keep reading great things about. Right now I have Omni on top and Sofine in the bobbin. My test pieces look great and have no issues starting to sew. Rethreading fixes the problem until it happens again. Only happens after sewing for a bit.
Old 08-14-2020, 04:20 PM

Does this happen with a different pantograph?

Have you used this one before?

Are you able to slow down the speed of your machine?

Please disregard if these don’t relate to your machine.
Old 08-14-2020, 06:51 PM

I had a similar thing happen with my Nolting. My issue was the thread looked like it was still in the tension properly but it had jumped loose. The birds nest underneath was a mess. We oiled the tension and my husband used a piece of thread to floss the tension just in case a thread piece was in there. We didn't see anything. I rethreaded and everything worked fine. I was using Glide thread in the top and bottom.
Old 08-14-2020, 07:54 PM

I was going to say the same thing that Barb in LA said--when I've had this problem it is usually the top thread popping in and out of the tensioner discs. Doubt it would cause that big of mess on the back, but it could be that the bobbin backlash spring is needing replacement. Good luck--can be soooo very frustrating!
Old 08-15-2020, 06:20 AM

HI Rhonda, this is my first time using this pantograph. I finished a quilt right before this with no problems using swirls. This pattern has a lot of curves and turns so I am going slow.