Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Love my cats... but....

I found a furnture sweeper at the store. It cost about $5 and is reusable. It worked great. I think it was made by Swifter. Good Luck.

Just put the quilt in the dryer on fluff no heat for about 20 minutes, you'll be amazed how much hair comes off.

We have 2 cats who loooove to help me quilt. When this happens, I use the Pledge roller to remove most of the cat hair they shed for "extra" warmth, then wash and dry the quilt. (Dry on low). Comes out greaat every time.

Can you just tumble it in the dryer on air fluff? (Maybe your quilting isn't done enough to handle that tumbling yet.)
    Thimble and Thread

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by egagnon291 View Post
    I was hospitalized in January for 29 days and then spent another 2 months recuperating. During this time I inadvertently left the quilt I was working on draped over the chair in my sewing room. Well, the cats decided this was the best place in the house to sleep. Now I have 3 months worth of cat hair embedded in the quilt. The quilt is almost finished. I have about 25% to finish the hand quilting on.

My question is: Does anyone have a good way to remove a lot of cat hair from the quilt? I have tried lint brushes and masking tape, but it is taking forever. Any suggestions appreciated.
    SHAVE THE CATS!!!! - O Sorry wrong question. What about a DAMP (NOT wet), washcloth. I've had to use this before. Good luck, but it's nice to know that your so LOVE (remember your work smelled like you and the your fur kids missed you).

Quote Originally Posted by Hinterland View Post
    Pledge makes a pet fur remover that works really well. They call it the Pledge Fabric Sweeper. The downside is that it's expensive, $12 (cheaper through Amazon). But, you can empty it when it's full. Scotch also makes the Fur Fighter. I like the Pledge product better.

Janet
    The pledge fur remover works wonderfully! I buy it at Sam's Club, 3 in a package for a resonable price. They are worth the cost. Tinkerbelle owns the sofa...so the sofa needs to be defurred on a weekly basis.
    Tink's Mom (My name is really Susie)

Throw it in a dryer, no heat, with a damp towel. You'll find most of the hair in your lint filter. I do this every week for the quilt on my bed to get rid of dog hair.

I have 2 long hair calicos, and let me tell you I have corner on the market for cat hair. I found these sponges at Wal-Mart. I love, love, love them. I did order them on-line. Look for "Pet Select Magic Hair Remover Sponge" I have them all over the house. Hope this helps. gadglady

Blog Entries
    Good Morning,

I am really surprised that ..start by taking it outside and shaking it-hard..has not been mentioned.

I like all of the items mentioned here and I will be buying them. Two calicos; one of whom is tapping me on the arm right now.
    Good luck,
    Quilter 68 who is now 69/and now 70

Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!
    This sounds like a geat idea! I have 4 dogs and 2 cats so I will be trying this. I don't have the 3 months of build up but I am trying this method for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by NanaCsews2 View Post
    Here is what I did when I had this problem a few years ago. Take a thick wide roll of clear box tape, tear off in manageable strips and firmly press onto the quilt. Rub gently over the tape a few times. Gently pull off and discard. Repeat. When you have done the entire quilt with the tape, shake a can of Static Guard well, hold the can about 2 feet above the quilt and spray lightly. Then gently take a clean dry washcloth (the pile of the washcloth helps pick up the hairs) and wipe. Shake the cloth into a garbage can. Repeat as needed. Then use the upholstery brush of the vacuum cleaner and go over the quilt. This worked beautifully for me and the Static Guard had no effect on the quilt. I no longer have a cat in the house, but I do try and make sure to shut the sewing room doors so the little doggies don't sneak in there.
    You never stand taller than when you stoop to help a child.

Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!
    goingto get a pledge fur remover too!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink's Mom View Post
    The pledge fur remover works wonderfully! I buy it at Sam's Club, 3 in a package for a resonable price. They are worth the cost. Tinkerbelle owns the sofa...so the sofa needs to be defurred on a weekly basis.
    You never stand taller than when you stoop to help a child.

My little darling Calico isn't so bad with shedding as she is muddy feet!! It still amazes me how she can come in the cat door, up the stairs to my sewing room, across the carpeted sewing room - and still leave muddy paw prints on my desk by the window! :-)

Mary
    Marysewfun
    Have a great day!

I would just get off all I could using an old hair brush, then finish the quilt and give it a good washing. You are lucky they did not chew on it because you weren't there. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
    Living with a Saint Bernard I have ...well issues. I use a slightly damp terry wash cloth to first get the big stuff off. I Wipe the item with the damp cloth. Then if I have moistened the item I let it dry then use the tape roller to remove any remaining hair.
    This is exactly what I do also on my upholstered furniture and it works great. Washing your quilt will work also.
    Kathleen, a lass with a bit of the Irish in her blood and a whole lot of Irish in her heart

also the dollar general store in the auto department has rags that are funny feeling, they are for dusting your car, well they also work great dusting furniture and wiping down fabric, kinda grabs dust , lint, strings and hair.

Blog Entries
    Use a wet/damp wash cloth to gather it into fur balls I had the same thing happen with a quilt and my MIL de-furred it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cherrio View Post
    This sounds like a geat idea! I have 4 dogs and 2 cats so I will be trying this. I don't have the 3 months of build up but I am trying this method for sure.
    I will add that this quilt had just been made, and never washed. (I love the look of a completed quilt washed afterward, not before. Although I pre-wash plenty of fabric on many quilts.) The quilt was covered with so much hair and some was actually stuck in the topstitching. The tape really pulled those hairs out of the stitches and any that were kind of stuck under the binding edges. I had used box tape before for getting hair off fast from clothing (doesn't it always happen you notice it just before going out the door?), and I wanted every last hair off this heirloom quilt that was to be a gift. It is amazing all the steps I had to do to take care of the problem, but it worked. When you have arthritis and bursitis, it is not easy grasping those hairs. Static Guard made it easy to get all the last hairs up that did not come up with the tape.
    I again used this method when getting PUG dog hairs off vintage upholstered chairs. Worked beautifully. We originally tried the damp cloths for the quilt and the chairs. Just didn't do the job.

I use all of the following to get hair off quilt:

1. Vacuum
    2. Damp cloth
    3. Lint brsh
    4. CLothes dryer on air. I even do this several times. Also helps get rid of loose threads and such on completed quilt and just makes it fresh.
    5. Hang outside on windy day.

Blog Entries
    Sorry no experence here but I was wondering about using fabric softner or some of the anti static spray??? Not pets here well except for DH calla

Blog Entries
    I like the Pledge one, too. Use it to clean my ironing board cover - muslin and lots of other things. Members on here advised us to cut a flap into the top so you could empty it and re-use. Works just great!

Quote Originally Posted by Hinterland View Post
    Pledge makes a pet fur remover that works really well. They call it the Pledge Fabric Sweeper. The downside is that it's expensive, $12 (cheaper through Amazon). But, you can empty it when it's full. Scotch also makes the Fur Fighter. I like the Pledge product better.

Janet
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
    A glove that you use to wash dishes will work to remove pet hair. It works great for car seats.
    This is what I use too. It's using the usually annoying static to your advantage. Just put the glove on a rub gently and the hair will ball up and stick to the glove.
    "If you have built castles in the air, your work will not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them." --Henry David Thoreau

I made this mistake too......

Quote Originally Posted by egagnon291 View Post
    I was hospitalized in January for 29 days and then spent another 2 months recuperating. During this time I inadvertently left the quilt I was working on draped over the chair in my sewing room. Well, the cats decided this was the best place in the house to sleep. Now I have 3 months worth of cat hair embedded in the quilt. The quilt is almost finished. I have about 25% to finish the hand quilting on.

My question is: Does anyone have a good way to remove a lot of cat hair from the quilt? I have tried lint brushes and masking tape, but it is taking forever. Any suggestions appreciated.
    I put a layered but not quilted quilt in a Rubbermaid box and moved it to my new house a few years ago. Somehow the lid got off and the cats decided it was the bed of a lifetime....evidently for quite some time before I found it. Tried everything and then gave up, finished it with some casual quilting, and threw it in the washer. (No, it wasn't meant to be an heirloom; it was a just fun quickie that got put aside in the move.) Pulled it out of the washer and threw it in the dryer with 3-4 fabric softener sheets with non-static treatment---and the quilt was defurred when it came out of the dryer.

Glad you are feeling better and are wanting to finish the quilt, though! Post pics????
    Mistakes are just opportunities to invent a new quilting technique!

When I complained that there was an unusual amount of cat hair on a window seat cushion, my sister whipped of her flipflop and swish, swish, swish the cat hair was rolled up in a wad and disposed of! Get the kind of flipflops with texture on the bottom. I went right out and bought a pair--one shoe to keep upstairs, and one to keep downstairs.

Scotch packaging tape. Vacuum cleaner with the small brush. Been there, done that. You won't get all of it, but you will get way more than you can with lint brushes and masking tape.

Thanks all for the suggestions. I will incorporate them and get back to finishing my quilt.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast