Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
In Love With My New Serger! >

In Love With My New Serger!

In Love With My New Serger!

Old 12-23-2011, 12:32 PM
Power Poster

Congrats. sound like a wonderful machine.
Old 12-23-2011, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by gotta-sew View Post
For those that want to know about winding crochet thread to use on your serger......I use empty spools that I have saved for this purpose. I just watch a tv show and wind the crochet thread on the empty spools. It just feeds better when you do this. Oh and you only need to do this for the loopers. Just use regular thread for the needle.

Also congrats on the new machine. I love mine as well!
i use my yarn winder and wind little center feeding balls of crochet cotton... the hole in the middle is big enough to sit on spool holder and still feed from the center, but i usually put them in coffee mugs right behind the machine... fast to do and you can do as many as you need in minutes... i buy dark crochet thread whenever i find it (not as plentiful as light colors) as i like this edge on the outside of bag seams...and the dark is easier to keep clean (and tough)...i do this on my elna serger because my babylock serger is 32 yrs old and has only 3 threads...it would still do it but i would have to overstitch the actual seam to make sure the chainlock held... but my babylock does work a lot and still stitches perfectly...
Old 12-23-2011, 01:24 PM

Smile Your new serger

I also have a Babylock serger & know exactly how you feel. I used to have Singer's Quantum 5 thread serger & it was an absolute nightmare to thread, especially the 4th & 5th Lower threads. OMG the Babylock is a dream. Here in Canada they are VERY pricey but I got it on sale & they took my Singer as a trade so I saved a few $'s there.
I still mostly tie my threads on but the option of threading itself is a dream come true, especially for those of us who are getting older. Good luck & I hope you love it as much as I love mine. Congrats.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:12 PM

I just bought a Elna pro4 DC serger at a thrift store. It was $100 without a pedal. I found out the pedal is $85 should I spend the money on it. I have never owned a serger before and don't know much about them.
Old 02-25-2012, 04:53 AM

I just found a Serger at the Consignment store and talked them down to 60.00 - it looks like it has bearly been used. its an Elna 614. It seems to have everything. Once I finish my quilt that I need to finish...I will try and figure this out. I would love to hear how others use your Sergers. I wish I had someone that I knew locally that uses one. This should be interested to try and learn. It does look like it may take a while to learn and master.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by wolph33 View Post
Babylock sergers are the best.I have one also-4 yrs old and still the best serger I have ever had
I agree! I bought mine used on ebay about 7 years ago - it was several years old then and I am still in love with it. It is an IMAGINE and I have never had one bit of problem with it.
Old 11-30-2019, 06:54 PM

Default Question for you, would love input

Originally Posted by barbrdunn View Post
Awhile back, I was looking for empty thread spools to wind cotton crochet thead onto so I could use it in my serger to edge baby blankets. Well, I received some spools and proceeded to wind the thread onto them. My serger was always pretty finicky, but went on strike with the thick thread. So I took it into the repair shop to see what was the matter. While there, I was just browsing at the new BabyLock sergers and fell in love at first sight. They offered me a great trade-in for my old serger, and since I had a little $$ stashed away for a rainy sewing day, I treated myself to an early Christmas present. I have to tell you, it is like night and day. It threads itself and handles the heavy thread without even a single adjustment. I am in sewing heaven...Now I just need some new grand-babies to make blankets for!
My question is which babyLock you decided on ? I love the self feed and no tension adjustments sound amazing. I also would love to know if there is a way to wind the crochet cotton on the spools other than by hand. Thanks, Sara
Old 12-01-2019, 02:32 AM

welcome to the board Syaeger! this thread is 7 years old, they might all have moved on to other models by now