Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Low Volume fabric prints >

Low Volume fabric prints

Low Volume fabric prints

Old 07-06-2015, 06:09 AM
Power Poster

I have run across the term in print, but never in discussions with other quilters. But I see another trend in your fabrics - all of them have some sort of circle in the design. In some the circle is a bit squared off, in some it takes the form of a flower - but still, lots of circles.
Old 07-06-2015, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
What is the difference between "shabby chic" - which I have interpreted to mean fabrics that were printed to LOOK like they are faded out - and a "low volume" print - which I interpret as a print that does not "pop"?
'Shabby' to me indicates a certain aesthetic -- cottagey, flowery, vintage, faded with pink, ivory and robin's egg blue predominant colors. To me, it's a feminine, romantic aesthetic. I think the 'low volume' is a distinctly modern trend, and the 'volume' refers to the idea of sound level (a whisper rather than a shout), but also to the density of a print. There's lots of background color (a light neutral) to a relatively small amount of pattern. They're spaced out, as opposed to crowded prints.

Some of the fabrics in the first photo I wouldn't consider either neutrals or low volume, so obviously it varies by individual.

Last edited by joe'smom; 07-06-2015 at 08:03 AM.
Old 07-06-2015, 09:05 AM

Whatever they are called, I sure do like them!! Make sure to show us what you decide to make with them!
Old 07-07-2015, 03:48 AM

A "rose" by any other name is still a "rose".... low volume, background fabrics, or neutrals. Same thing!
Old 07-07-2015, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by lindaschipper View Post
A "rose" by any other name is still a "rose".... low volume, background fabrics, or neutrals. Same thing!
The term "low volume" does not refer to the fabrics used. But when you make a quilt out of only these neutrals or background fabrics, it is the quilt that is "low volume". I've seen a few, and they are gorgeous.
Old 07-07-2015, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
I always called them bqckground fabrics.

Me too, but now with modern quilting its Low Volume.......still background in my mind.....or as BH says neutrals....
Old 07-07-2015, 06:21 AM

I think it's one of those totally personal feelings. There is absolutely no way that I consider 'neutrals', 'background fabrics' and 'low volume' the same thing. To me, they're entirely different in appearance, in application, in function, and in visual impact. If they're all the same to you, that's fine, but remember it's only your opinion, not a universal truth.
Old 07-07-2015, 10:51 AM
Power Poster

I would consider these background fabrics and I have never heard the term low volume fabrics. I guess a rose by any other name...
Old 07-07-2015, 10:59 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
I think it's one of those totally personal feelings. There is absolutely no way that I consider 'neutrals', 'background fabrics' and 'low volume' the same thing. To me, they're entirely different in appearance, in application, in function, and in visual impact. If they're all the same to you, that's fine, but remember it's only your opinion, not a universal truth.
Can/Will you post illustrations of each of them?

To me - low volume would be something that is pleasant and restful to look at, without any "popping" going on! Or made with low contrast prints.
???

(Of course, low volume would also be nice when my husband is talking and i'm trying to hear the program on TV!)
Old 07-07-2015, 07:45 PM

I am new at quilting, so I immediately thought it meant an inferior quality of cotton. Thanks for the information.