Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Lucy Boston Quilt Question.... >

Lucy Boston Quilt Question....

Lucy Boston Quilt Question....

Old 05-13-2018, 04:27 AM

I love all of the blocks so far. I would love to make one, but never will because I hate hand sewing.
Old 05-13-2018, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by lovingLakeMich View Post
I have been privileged to have citruscountyquilter introduce me to this and help me. I love the way she uses color and elements of fabric in her designs. Many thanks!!

Connecting threads has an acrylic template of the honeycomb shape that you can purchase.
I bought mine from paperpieces..I like the 3/8" seam allowance on the template...I use glue rather than thread paste to papers......I like the idea of the layout template...going to have to make one....

linda franz from inklingo has a book on Lucy Boston and her quilt.......Pinterest gas loads of pics of design ideas.....
Old 05-13-2018, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by meanmom View Post
I love all of the blocks so far. I would love to make one, but never will because I hate hand sewing.
you know you can do the project by machine using invisible thread and tiny blind hem stitch......saw on Craftsy, she dud hexies, but same technigue can be used on POTC.
Old 05-13-2018, 08:51 AM
mac

This is beautiful. So, am I to understand that this is hand-pieced like the hexagon ones. I know that you can to the hexagon ones by machine, but I do mine by hand, as a time filler when I have to wait at doctor's offices or watching TV or visiting friends when you don't have a sewing machine. These would be a nice change from the hexagons.

By the way, Craftsy has a great class on paper piecing hexagons and other shapes. It is really a helpful class and the teacher is fantastic and shows the work clearly and explains the technique perfectly.
Old 05-13-2018, 08:52 AM

Thank you ladies for your help and your photos.....your blocks are beautiful. Can't wait to see the finished products. I made a mistake when I posted my questions though....I didn't mean to ask for yardage for the backing of the quilt, what I meant was how much fabric would I need for the BACKGROUND of each block. In other words, the long hexie path that finishes each block. I'm thinking that my quilt will measure approx. 96"x106" or so. Sorry for the confusion. And once again, thanks in advance for your help.
Old 05-13-2018, 09:22 AM

I have never made a POTC or Lucy Boston whole quilt. I have made several blocks that were inspired by this for block swaps. I have appliqued them to a 12.5 inch square of fabric as stand alone blocks.

A few I had pics of in the computer.
Old 05-14-2018, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by oh munner View Post
I have two questions. First, has anyone here ever made a Lucy Boston Quilt, and if so can you post a picture? Other than block patterns, I can't seem to be able to find any info. about this quilt pattern.
You might try using the alternative name for this quilt, Patchwork of the Crosses, or POTC. There is a plethora of eye candy out there if you look at both Pinterest and Google images.

What kind of information are you looking for? The pattern is designed for and works best with English paper piecing, so if that's what you need help with, there are lots of tutorials on the internet.

There's a tutorial series here https://www.linapatchwork.com/lucy-b...sses-tutorial/

And Linda Franz has some free printable templates with instructions here https://lindafranz.com/blog/free-templates-for-lucy-boston-patchwork-of-the-crosses-potc-part-1/