Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Lynn

does the thread size REALLY matter between 40 & 50 when doing the actual machine piecing? will 40 give me a more "finished-looking" quilt? or is this a shop owner trying to make some pennies?

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    In my former shop in Dallas TX, speaking of Mettler threads, we sold the 50 weight for piecing and the 40 weight for machine/hand quilting afterwards. Generally.

Jan in VA

Kas
    A 40 is much thicker and your seam allowances will be more bulky and might not measure 1/4". I would do like Jan said and use a 50 or even 60 on the piecing. I found Master Piece by Superior and just love it now! It is very fine and strong.

Quote Originally Posted by spiritplate
    does the thread size REALLY matter between 40 & 50 when doing the actual machine piecing? will 40 give me a more "finished-looking" quilt? or is this a shop owner trying to make some pennies?
    Great question. I keep finding answers here to questions I didn't know I had! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA
    In my former shop in Dallas TX, speaking of Mettler threads, we sold the 50 weight for piecing and the 40 weight for machine/hand quilting afterwards. Generally.

Jan in VA
    thank you jan

Quote Originally Posted by Kas
    A 40 is much thicker and your seam allowances will be more bulky and might not measure 1/4". I would do like Jan said and use a 50 or even 60 on the piecing. I found Master Piece by Superior and just love it now! It is very fine and strong.
    thank you too kas ~ what a lovely thing, this quilters message board!

Quote Originally Posted by wolfkitty
    Quote Originally Posted by spiritplate
    Great question. I keep finding answers here to questions I didn't know I had! lol
    ty too ~ glad i asked the question....back to the fabric store i go!!!!

Blog Entries
    I'm glad you asked too, I love learning even the small things that actually make a big difference in our projects.