Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Machine Applique Blunder & need opinions >

Machine Applique Blunder & need opinions

Machine Applique Blunder & need opinions

Old 01-13-2011, 01:38 PM

I am a beginning quilter and I did a couple of applique blocks. I was so afraid to tackle applique but I did it and it turned out very nice so now I want to do more, however, I didn't know how to do it correctly and never gave it a thought until I was finished. Yep, tying off the threads at the beginning and end of my stiches. I have been going thru my craft library and getting rid of unwanted and old books and lo & behold I found a book on sewing machine techniques (wish I would have found that one sooner) anyway, it showed several ways of doing the very thing I needed to know. Now, I have been thinking of using some Aleene's Fabric Fusion that I have on the back side to seal the thread ends. Is this o.k. to use on my quilt????
P.S. My avatar says it all......LOL
Old 01-13-2011, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by joraymo
I am a beginning quilter and I did a couple of applique blocks. I was so afraid to tackle applique but I did it and it turned out very nice so now I want to do more, however, I didn't know how to do it correctly and never gave it a thought until I was finished. Yep, tying off the threads at the beginning and end of my stiches. I have been going thru my craft library and getting rid of unwanted and old books and lo & behold I found a book on sewing machine techniques (wish I would have found that one sooner) anyway, it showed several ways of doing the very thing I needed to know. Now, I have been thinking of using some Aleene's Fabric Fusion that I have on the back side to seal the thread ends. Is this o.k. to use on my quilt????
Are you doing hand applique or machine applique? With hand applique you can tie a knot and then run the thread end through the fabric between layers, pull it out and cut the thread close to the fabric so it will be in between all your layers and thus invisible. Machine applique, you can just stitch in one place and end with the threads on the back and cut them close. Maybe someone else has a better idea.
Old 01-13-2011, 02:04 PM

hand buttenhole --i run a threar under the back edge to a start point then do the same to finish thread sits between backing +applique--machine buttonhole just run over the start by a few stitches i match the threadto the applique----hopeing for some new idears