Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Machine applique stitch? >

Machine applique stitch?

Machine applique stitch?

Old 05-31-2011, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by irishrose
Side note - how do you put DMC embroidery thread on a spool?
There is DMC machine embroidery thread that comes on a spool.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:26 AM

Time to play. I went to my sewing room, which is currently a storage room, and found a cam that made my 1974 Elna SU Supermatic do a perfect blanket stitch from the left to the right, so the bulk of the item is not be under the machine. It doesn't make a very big stitch, but very nice. The built in blind stitches both go from the right to the left. Off to ebay to see if there's a cam that will make a bigger blanket stitch.

That is such a quiet machine. It's not a good quilting machine, so I've been using a Singer 301, but nothing sews like the Elna.

I just went back and looked at the video. The stitch she used looked very much like the Elna's blind stitch, not the blanket stitch. The blanket stitch cam makes a stitch like Kitsie's pictured one, only smaller. The cam puts down more thread and will show more. Side note - how do you put DMC embroidery thread on a spool?
Please tell me the number of that Cam for the left to right blanket stitch. I think we have very similar Elnas, and I just adore mine, which was my mother's. I wish it had a drop feed, but it's not too bad on small quilts using the feed dog cover.

I wondered about that DMC reference, too. I assume they make a spool type of embroidery thread for machines, but I haven't tried it. Will do a little research.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:27 AM

Aha: http://www.shamrockroseneedlework.co...d=338&cat_id=1
Old 05-31-2011, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by EasyPeezy
Side note - how do you put DMC embroidery thread on a spool?
There is DMC machine embroidery thread that comes on a spool.
Sorry - There you were all along with the information. Sometimes my eyes read but the old brain does not compute.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Kitsie
Originally Posted by Rose_P
I was just browsing in an old magazine, American Patchwork and Quilting from Feb. 2009, and there is an example of applique work that is done on a sewing machine but looks hand sewn. The designer is Cherie Ralston. She says to use a "variable overlock" stitch to sew down the appliques. You can use a narrow zig-zag, she says, but I'm wondering if I might possibly have the other stitch and just not know what it's called. Does anyone have a picture of it, or could anyone possibly point me to a resource that lists the stitches by name with pictures? I have a couple of old machines, an Elna and a Bernina, that have quite a few stitches, but I have no idea what most of them are called. Google is no help, just turning up lots of pictures of sergers and serger stitches.
Is this what you mean? I have this stitch on an older Brother machine and also on my Pfaff. I believe a lot of machines have it.
That is the one that I was thinking of! It looks soooo good.