Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Machine binding >

Machine binding

Machine binding

Old 06-22-2017, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by lorraine43 View Post
Hi, Does anyone have a way to attach machine binding so it looks nice on both sides of quilt. Would like to use this on a baby quilt. Mine always looks messy on one side. Thanks, Lorraine
A good decorative stitch will work....make sure you test first to see what the back looks like. I believe Bernina has a flat fell foot that is supposed to help a lot with machine binding. I have been meaning to call the dealer to order, and try it out.
Old 06-22-2017, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by lorraine43 View Post
Hi, Does anyone have a way to attach machine binding so it looks nice on both sides of quilt. Would like to use this on a baby quilt. Mine always looks messy on one side. Thanks, Lorraine
Machine binding sometimes gets a bad rap, but I believe it is a very secure method of binding. And I no longer want to take five days to bind a quilt by hand, versus an hour or so to do by machine. I just want a secure binding that will hold up in multiple washings, and still look presentable. Small goals?
Old 06-22-2017, 05:47 AM

I've used the flange binding and been very happy with it. But if the quilt has star points at the edge (no border) the flange will slightly cover them
Old 06-22-2017, 08:56 AM

I sew all of my bindings by machine. I sew it to the back of the quilt first and then turn it over to the front, then top stitch it down; using either a straight stitch or one of the decorative stitches.
Sharon in Texas
Old 06-22-2017, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by jeanharville View Post
I sew the binding onto the front, next, I fold it to the back side, press and secure with elmer's school glue so that the edge covers the top binding seam, next press the binding to make sure the glue sticks well. Then I turn back to the top of the quilt and stitch in the ditch. I go slow and keep checking to make sure I catching the back binding I usually use clear thread on top and thread that matches the binding in the bobbin. Here is a tutorial and it has worked well for me. Instead of glue she used clips. https://beechtreelanehandmade.com/20...nding-tutorial

I am going to try this method on the quilt I'm working on right now. You might like it. https://awomanaday.com/2013/01/17/ha...nding-edition/
This is the method I use & it has come out looking nice every time. I also purchased the foot but have not tried doing it that way yet.