Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Machine binding >

Machine binding

Machine binding

Old 03-20-2023, 05:36 AM
Power Poster

I machine bind the front and hand sew the back. I can't get both sides to look right by machine. I've tried many times.
This week I bound 2 quilts. They took 2 evenings each. I like hand sewing so it's not a big deal to me but I would love to do it quicker if I could get results I liked.
The cherry on top was I put labels on both! I'm terrible at remembering that.
Old 03-20-2023, 08:00 AM

It was a difficult thing for me to accept binding with machine since I had been taught to hand sew only.. But unless its a wall hanging, using a sewing machine to put the binding on is how I roll!. It sure holds up to washing after washing. As far a a gift, most folks wouldn't know or be able to tell you the difference. Again, I sure like the sturdiness of machine binding and it certainly saves on hands and arms!
Old 03-20-2023, 07:16 PM

I think this is another of those what ever works best for you issues! I have tried both ways, and I just prefer the machine to the front, hand stitch to the back method. That gives me the "invisible" look I like on my quilts. I also love the hand stitching process as the final step in my quilt. As posted in the responses, there are several videos that walk you through the process.
Old 03-22-2023, 01:42 PM

Thank you Rhonda Lee ! Now I have some guidance !
Old 03-22-2023, 01:42 PM

Thank you Susie. That input helps !
Old 03-22-2023, 01:45 PM

Thank you Stll Sew ! It IS a wall hanging..and I was not sure If I wanted to do Machine on front then hand sew on back. I am leaning that way now.
Old 03-22-2023, 01:46 PM

Thank you AnnieDeb...I think that is the way I will go....machine on front..hand stitch on back. It is NOT a large project but it is my 1st. Now to remember to add the name tag ! HA!
Old 03-25-2023, 05:36 AM
Power Poster

SharonMary- last night I bound a 74 x 74 quilt in just one evening! ( I machined sewed the front and hand sewed the back) That's not THE way just my way, at least until I figure out how to machine bind both sides!
Old 03-25-2023, 06:34 AM

Put me in the "sew to the back, wrap to the front and then machine sew again" group. Sometimes with a decorative stitch on the front.
Old 03-25-2023, 07:36 AM

If it's an art quilt wall hanging, take a look at how to "face" a quilt. It gives a knife edge to it and looks lovely for some wall hangings. Just to throw another idea into the mix.
It's quit easy to do.

Watson