Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Machine eats my fabric >

Machine eats my fabric

Machine eats my fabric

Old 11-28-2013, 05:39 AM

In my HS home ec class eons ago we were taught to always hold on to both threads when starting a seam. When I remember to do so, it really helps!
Old 11-28-2013, 05:44 AM

Same thing I was taught. I always hold on to both threads before stitching so the thread doesn't get sucked down into the hole. Seldom have a problem no matter what plate I use.
Old 11-28-2013, 05:54 AM

Yup, I was taught to 'hold my tails'. It's a habit now.
Originally Posted by mom-6 View Post
In my HS home ec class eons ago we were taught to always hold on to both threads when starting a seam. When I remember to do so, it really helps!
Old 11-28-2013, 06:01 AM

Why didn't I think of this? While watching a video on working with silky fabrics I discovered this tip. Place a piece of the frosty looking tape over the needle opening slot. Haven't tried it yet but the video showed it being used in the video.
Old 11-28-2013, 07:05 AM

Gale I have a bright pink clip that I put on the extra thread holder on my machine when I have the single hole plate in and believe me it has helped a lot. I take it off when I remove the plate and attach it to the plate when not in use. Never lose it that way.
Old 11-28-2013, 07:18 AM

Cut out a second quilt which can be a simple 4 patch and use that as a leader and an ender. Never stop sewing with nothing under the needle. I started making two quilts at a time years ago and it is so nice. Read Bonnie Hunter on the Internet about leaders and enders.
Old 11-28-2013, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by beaglelady View Post
I have a Husqvarna Sapphire 870 which I am very happy with except it eats the fabric at the beginning of the seam. I was wondering if I bought a straight stitch needle plate (the one with one small hole) would that help the problem?
I have the same machine as you and spent the extra $$ on the straight stitch needle plate, it really doesn't make a lot of difference. Because this machine "allows" you to just start stitching without holding the thread, or putting down the pressure foot, etc. it doesn't always work the best. One problem I find with doing it this way is sometimes the first few stitches in the seam (if chain stitching) don't always hold.
And I do put a sticky note on my machine when I put the single hole plate on..... but I still manage to forget it's there & break a needle or two. I try to remove the plate & put the regular one on every time I'm finished sewing for the day.
Old 11-28-2013, 08:27 AM

I find that if I put the needle into the fabric (before lowering the foot) it doesn't bunch up the fabric or eat it. Put the needle down, lower foot and then sew.
Old 11-28-2013, 08:44 AM

Hold the threads as you start and that helps keep it from being eaten
Old 11-28-2013, 08:48 AM

One more tip: check the "hole" your needle goes through to make sure there are no rough edges on it. I had to sand with an emery strip to remove a rough place on one plate. Good luck.