Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Machine embroidery >
  • Machine embroidery

• Machine embroidery

Old 01-04-2007, 07:50 AM

I have an embroidery module with my Bernina sewing machine but I'm very apprehensive about using it. If anyone can give me some tips on easy projects to get me started, I would appreciate it. I went to an embroidery class when I purchased my machine, but by the time I got home I was nervous about doing it on my own. I think I need some inspiration from my fellow quilters. Thanks.
    Old 01-04-2007, 11:05 AM

Hi Minda, I too was really afraid to try out my new embroidery machine. I had no idea what to make, one of my friends said i should make a whole bunch of squares with different embroidery on them and make a quilt with these squares. I haven't tried her idea yet, i'm still having fun playing with it and seeing how the machine sews and try different patterns. :lol: So who knows i may have to put these pracitise pieces together for a small wall hanging or something. Like i've been told , don't be afraid and just go for it. How about making a small table runner with some embroidery on it? I know once you start you won't be able to quit lol , remember to relax and have tons of fun. :D Denise.
    Old 01-04-2007, 08:36 PM

Denise, Thanks for your encouragement. It's good to know someone else was afraid to try it at first. I think the idea about embroidering a bunch of squares is a good idea. I might try that. Thanks again.

Minda
    Old 01-05-2007, 05:28 AM

I was a little scared of my new machine, was't sure what I was going to do. Then a friend had twins so I started making 7 inch squares and tried differnt kid patterns ( teddy bears toys ect. took the best of the lot and quilted them together and made two baby quilts.

Just jump in with both feet and have fun with it.
    Old 01-07-2007, 04:52 AM
    Banned

Minda, I love to embellish my quilts with embroidery, or actually use the embroidery module to do some of the quilting. Did you get the Mega hoop with your new setup? It's wonderful!

Old 01-07-2007, 09:34 AM

Hi cjtinkle, Thanks for your encouragement. I have a Bernina 730 and I do have the Mega hoop. I also have a Bernina Artista 230 and a Janome 6500. I won a Janome Quilters Edition last year at the local Janome dealer and I gave it to my granddaughter. She is starting to quilt. My family tells me I have a sewing machine addiction :lol: but most of the quilters I know eventually end up with more than one machine. I see you have a least three. :D

Minda
    Old 01-07-2007, 09:50 AM
    Banned

LOL one is never enough is it! :mrgreen: I for one don't have room for ONE machine, let alone 3 :shock: .

Everyone has different tastes, and different ideas of things they'd like to embroider. I'm not into embroidery on clothes at all, but I love monograms on towels and bathrobes, those are really easy to do.

My favorite use for embroidery is to add it to a quilt. You might try something simple, like a small table topper. Pick a design in your software, stitch it out on 4 blocks. Put sashing between the blocks, then piece them together, add batting and backing and quilt it with your BSR foot.

I love to embroider with cotton thread on Osnaburg, I think the result is just fabulous!

What kind of help do you need, just inspiration, or help with hooping, thread, stablizers, etc?
    Old 01-07-2007, 09:56 AM

Right now, I just need inspiration - so thanks for that. What is Osnaburg? I don't think I've ever heard of it. I'm going to get my embroidery module out and try it this week.

Minda
    Old 01-07-2007, 10:01 AM
    Banned

Osnaburg is like a very coarse muslin, kinda tweedy looking. I use it as a blender in about everything, but it, like flannel, must be prewashed as it has a very high shrinkage factor.

Kitchen towels, the non-terry type, make great embroidery projects, as do terry wash clothes. Pillow cases are good, quick and easy too.
    Old 10-28-2010, 12:28 PM

I am embroidering on 10 inch squares as we write, I have going to put thme together as a lap quilt for hubby for Christams. I asked last week about finding West Va M.E. icons so that is what I am using. I have not ever put a quilt together so hopefully I will get help to figure it out.
    I do not consider myself any thing other that a beginner,
    have bought towels to practice on at the dollar store.
    I have found that using the proper stabilizer is upmost important. I read and save all articles that I find on this subject.
    Get started and have a ton of fun.