Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Machine and hand piecing >

Machine and hand piecing

Machine and hand piecing

Old 12-07-2017, 07:08 AM
Power Poster

Default Machine and hand piecing

Do any of you do hand-piecing and machine-piecing on the same project?

There are some blocks that are "comparatively easy" to hand-piece that would be "very challenging" for me to machine piece.

I did hand piece the individual blocks for one thing I did. I wanted to be "a purist" and hand piece the whole thing, but after several tries, I was just unable to get 12 seams/intersections connected without a hole. So I sewed the blocks together by machine.

I also mixed my pressing. On the blocks, all the seams are pressed to one side. I pressed the machine sewn seams open.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:13 AM

I do both, Bear. I often hand piece a difficult section and press my seams open if it works better! Whatever gives you the result you desire!
Old 12-07-2017, 11:20 AM

I have done both hand piece and machine piece on a few of my quilts. Since I started making mini quilts I have been pressing all my seams open. Of course, there are also times when I need to press to the side, it all works out in the end.
Old 12-07-2017, 04:24 PM

When I make lone star quilts, I will machine sew everything up until nearly the end. The last steps, adding the inset squares and triangles, then putting quarters together in to halves, then the half into the whole, I hand sew. For the inset squares and triangles, sometimes I hand baste them in and then finish the seam by machine sewing.

I haven't made much else with Y-seams, but hand basting the tricky areas and then machine sewing is how I think I would handle them in general, especially if there are a lot of bias edges to work with.
Old 12-09-2017, 03:22 AM

I sometimes machine quilt the basic parts of a quilt and then go back and add accents with hand quilting. It often takes me forever to hand quilt even a small piece completely, but somehow this method gets me done much more quickly.
Old 12-09-2017, 03:26 AM
Power Poster

I always have a hand Piecing project to work on when I’m away from my machine and often machine piece when I’m home so many of my projects contain both hand and machine pieced blocks. Or hand pieced blocks and machine borders- whatever works out
Old 12-09-2017, 06:08 AM
Power Poster

It seems that I have either/ or when it comes to piecing. I always have something to work on at night when I'm watching TV or something like that. Right now I'm working on a hexie project by hand and thought I'd like to hand quilt it as well but I'll decide later. My FMQ skills aren't the best at this point !