Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Machine help needed, please. >

Machine help needed, please.

Machine help needed, please.

Old 06-03-2011, 06:27 AM

I have a 5 year old basic model Kenmore. While I'm FMQ, the bobbin thread will slip out of the delivery eye of the bobbin case.

Everything, from what I can tell, is right. Threaded properly, tension right, feed dog down, etc. It doesn't always do this and I can't recreate it. I'm in the middle of FMQ a runner right now and I got 1/3 of the way through with no problem. The thread slipped once and now it keeps doing this every 12 inches or so.

I just finished a lap quilt that I had this exact same problem. It is driving me crazy.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:30 AM

Only two possible suggestion from me, I wish there were more.

Some machine have a small hole in the little 'handle' or around there you use to pop the bobbin into the machine, havae heard you can thread the thread through that and have more thread control.

Also, those Bobbin Genie seem to work on some cases. Not sure.

Do you hold the free ends of the thread tightly in your hand when you begin to FQM stitch? This does help alot.

Good luck, I want to follow this post for sure.
Julie
Old 06-03-2011, 06:32 AM

Don't really know what your problem may be, but I have found that when my bobbin starts "misbehaving", it usually means there is a lot of lint build up. Take it all apart and clean the inside of the bobbin casing and see if this helps.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:33 AM

I also have a Kenmore and had a similar problem and I discovered it was the bobbin I was using. I had gotten a package of new bobbins and they turned out to be just a bit smaller than the one that came with the machine. I changed bobbins and all was well after that. Hope this helps and I hope it solves the problem for you.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:34 AM

I have heard of the extra hole for more control. I think I looked but I can't remember. I will check again.

I'll check out the BG.

I do hold the free ends.

Thanks!
Old 06-03-2011, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by CoriAmD
Don't really know what your problem may be, but I have found that when my bobbin starts "misbehaving", it usually means there is a lot of lint build up. Take it all apart and clean the inside of the bobbin casing and see if this helps.
She is right, it may be as simple as cleaning out the bobbin casing. I hope the solution is as simple as that and there is no expense involved because it has to go to the repair shop.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:37 AM

Char ~ I have had some horrible bobbin problems lately. I bought a package of the proper size and out of 15 bobbins, only 3 fit properly. This one is supposed to be one of the "good" ones but now I'm not sure. I might switch and see what happens instead of just trying to make this bobbin work.

It is crazy. I've had this machine 5 years and only the last 3 or 4 months, I have had some major bobbin issues.

Cori ~ I will clean again. It seems to be extra linty lately too.

Thanks!
Old 06-03-2011, 07:28 AM

My FMQ machine is a vintage Singer 301. I have the same problem you are having if the bobbin is too full. I can't fill the bobbin quite all the way for FMQ. Other than that, it does a great job.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:29 AM
Power Poster

I bet it's the bobbin, then. Maybe it is close enough to tolerances to work while the bobbin is more than half full and it has to get down to a certain fill-size before the problem starts showing up.

Are they generic bobbins? Bobbins from the actual machine manufacturer tend to be made to closer tolerances than generic.