Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
machine help >

machine help

machine help

Old 03-27-2010, 06:15 AM

I am new to sewing and to quilting. I finished my top, layered it with batting and the backing to machine quilt. However no matter what type of thread I used, it would wind around my bobbin and jam the sewing machine. The bottom of my quilt has large loops of multiple layers of thread rather than just the bobbin thread. What is jamming it and how do I fix it? It is a fairly new Brother machine and I have tried everything from tension to feed feet changes but it still jams and I have to cut the thread from underneth to get the mnaterial loosened from the feed feet. It will sew for about 4-5 stitches then jam. I am at my wits end and just want to quit!
Please help
Old 03-27-2010, 06:27 AM

try changing needly already doesnt matter if its still new.
Old 03-27-2010, 06:27 AM

Are you trying to free motion quilt? Even in free motion quilting you must lower your pressure foot even though it doesn't really do anything except control tension.

Barb
Old 03-27-2010, 06:35 AM
Banned

It sounds to me like its threaded wrong.
Old 03-27-2010, 06:37 AM

Start by working first with a little piece of a sandwich until you get your stitches right. Use the same thread on the top and bottom. Set the machine to straight stitch and sew a few stitches with your straight stitch foot with no problem. Change the foot to free motion quilting (I assume that your problem is with FMQ, since you don't say) and lower the feed dogs if your machine allows it. Stitch until you get loops at the bottom. Change the tension on the top thread little bits at a time. When I had my Brother I found that depending on the thread I used I had to sometimes increase and sometimes decrease it. Make sure you change only one thing at a time. When stitching, move your needle very fast, but move the fabric slow. If you move fast you will them get eye lashes on the top and you don't want those either.
Old 03-27-2010, 06:56 AM

I have a brother and if the bobbin isn't wound tight eough it will get the little loops on the bottom and sometimes jam up. Hope this helps you. I also have to hold both threads when I start sewing a new seam. :)
Old 03-27-2010, 09:32 AM
Power Poster

The bobbin not being wound tight enough sounds like the most likely to me. Also, I have heard that the teflon circles (bobbin genies) you can add to a bobbin can help. Here is a Youtube video about them:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hdo_q0M2rsw
Old 03-27-2010, 10:45 AM

thanks everyone for your feedback. I will try again.
Old 03-27-2010, 07:54 PM
Power Poster

Have you lowered you feed dogs. And lowered your pressure foot. Are you using a darning foot or quilting foot.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:55 PM
Google Goddess

How are you coming along now? I know it is frustrating!

FREE Quilting Newsletter