Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A machine for my wife >

A machine for my wife

A machine for my wife

Old 12-15-2012, 04:22 AM

I love my FW, also but use my Bernina all the time! I recommend that if you live close to a store that sells machines; you focus on that. Having the opportunity to take classes and have the knowledge that is associated with store machines is most valuable. FYI, my husband also bought me a sewing machine for our first Christmas and that was almost 50 years ago. I am blessed and so is your wife!
Old 12-15-2012, 04:39 AM

How wonderful and thoughtful you are! Definitely listen to what the other ladies are saying and have your wife be part of the fun when it comes time to select her first sewing machine. It will mean a lot to her that you care enough to get the right machine for her. And don't be surprised if she eventually ends up with more than one machine over the years, smile. My DH bought me my first machine for Christmas when we were engaged. We shopped for it together. That was almost 50 years ago. Happy memories! Hope you and your wife have a very lovely holiday season!
Old 12-15-2012, 04:59 AM

I have not read all the post so I don't know if this has been suggested already or not, but I would look at the Kenmore's from Sears or the Janomes. There is a variety of price ranges so you would be able to pick a machine that is affordable to you. If this is your wife's first machine, I would consider one that is more modern and user friendly. I love the Featherweight, I have two of them. I also have a Janome 6500 which I love. An Elna of the same quality and about three other vintage machines. The Brother machine that you mentioned might be a good machine, I have a smaller Brother's (don't know the model number right off) but it feels like a toy compared to my Janome and Elna. Just food for thought. Merry Christmas.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:00 AM
Power Poster

It is the best!!! Light for travel, dependable and a great investment
Old 12-15-2012, 05:11 AM
Power Poster

How many people really travel with a sewing machine??? Mine sets in a cabinet waiting and ready at a moments notice.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
How many people really travel with a sewing machine??? Mine sets in a cabinet waiting and ready at a moments notice.
sew true.the only time I took one away from home was a hospital trip with my sick grand daughter.1 time in a lifetime of sewing.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:35 AM

Make a coupon for her (by hand or on the computer...she will keep the coupon forever) and enclose it in a VERY nice card letting her know that you are willing to go sewing machine shopping with her. That will do it. You're doing the right thing by checking out what others have experienced. Merry Christmas to you and your wife!
Old 12-15-2012, 05:46 AM

I for one would not want a featherweight if it is going to be my main machine.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:52 AM

Everyone seems to agree that the Featherweight is a good piecing machine, but do you know why? Look at your zig-zag machine when you have a 1/4 inch seam under the presser foot. The feed dogs are out in the middle of nowhere! Only one side of the feed dogs connects with the fabric. The feed dogs have to be so far away from the needle to make room for the Zig-zag.
I have a Singer 301; it does not zig-zag, and does a wonderful job on 1/4 inch seams, (when I lead the fabric in correctly, LOL).

Last edited by maviskw; 12-15-2012 at 05:54 AM.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:55 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
Everyone seems to agree that the Featherweight is a good piecing machine, but do you know why? Look at your zig-zag machine when you have a 1/4 inch seam under the presser foot. The feed dogs are out in the middle of nowhere! Only one side of the feed dogs connects with the fabric. The feed dogs have to be so far away from the needle to make room for the Zig-zag.
I have a Singer 301; it does not zig-zag, and does a wonderful job on 1/4 inch seams, (when I lead the fabric in correctly, LOL).
There are plenty of other less espensive machines besides the 301 and FW that sew fantastic SS