Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
machine opinions wanted >

machine opinions wanted

machine opinions wanted

Old 11-13-2010, 02:52 PM

I bought a Bernette 5 years ago and loved the machine. It just didn't do everything I wanted to do as I advanced in quilting. I have traded up twice and currently have a Bernina 630 which is wonderful. You can get a lemon in any machine. A friend had a Jenome that she repaired constantly. I sewed for years on a Singer but they aren't made that well anymore. My daughter and a cousin both bought a low end Brother a year ago and really like it for basic sewing and quilting. You might go to a local dealer and look into a reconditioned higher end machine. Good Luck!
Old 11-13-2010, 02:55 PM

If you're getting into FMQ you'd want to look for one with a long throat! If a new Pfaff is too much, perhaps a used one. The IDF (built in walking foot) would certainly be a bonus.
Old 11-13-2010, 02:57 PM

I have a Pfaff that I bought in 1986 and it is still purring along. It has gotten a lot of use and probably abuse. I have had no major problems but have it serviced regularly. It has a lot of good features, built-in walking foot, needle down, reverse, will sew easily over thick fabrics such as denim.
Old 11-14-2010, 02:13 AM

Janome is the best! IMHO!
Old 11-14-2010, 03:16 AM

my suggestion would be to look for a Juki or a janome 1600.
these are very basic machines, straight stitching and a larger throat..i think 9inches.
you may be able to pick up a used one at a sew and vac place or on craigs list.
no fancy stitches at all. i had the juki 98QT i think, and it is a very good industrial machine. if i had known about the janome 1600P, i would of gotten that one.
Old 11-14-2010, 03:40 AM

littlelambseativy - as you have probably guessed you ask 50 quilters that question and you will get 50 different answers.

Here is my 2 ¢ worth of advice.

I am a Pfaff person - I love the IDT foot that they have - it is a even feed foot (something like a walking foot). That being said, all major manufactures make good machines. It is all about $$ and features. If you want to FMQ, then you need to look at throat sizes. I have have Babylock, Viking and Pfaffs - all of which were excellent machines. My last two machines were purchased used - one from a dealer the other from Craigslist. The dealer gave a warranty which was nice. If you are new to quilting, a dealer sale may be what you want because they not only give lessons but are there to help when you are at wits end with a problem.

Go to all the dealers around you and look for the best deals - after having worked for a Viking dealer - I will tell you that there is always room for negotiation - if not on price then on features. Ask for their best price - and then ask for additional items - like a walking foot, extra needles, if they have it - a clear plastic table or whatever else you think you might like. You might be surprised what you can get. The bigger dealers can even do free financing for a year.

Good luck!!
Old 11-14-2010, 04:01 AM

My vote is for a Juki 98Q, I love mine and would have nothing else
Old 11-14-2010, 04:01 AM

go for the Janome, if there is a dealer in your area maybe they have a machine that someone traded in you could get for less money. Good luck
Old 11-14-2010, 04:11 AM

Well, my first love will always be a Bernina. I've had mine almost 15 years, still sews like the first day. Now it was a lot of money, but my only purchase for myself from my dad's estate.

I also have a Janome Platinum 760 for classes. Bernina's are still metal inside the plastic housing, so my main machine is very heavy. Janomes are also a good brand.

There's a Yahoo group, SewitsforSale, that has machines listed several times a week for sale. They also have materials, notions, books, etc. I highly recommend it. If I were going to buy another machine, I'd probably start looking in the used market first. Gently used and well maintained. you can get some great machines for considerably less than they originally cost.
Old 11-14-2010, 05:45 AM

I bought a Janome 6500 from my former Singer dealer about 5 years ago. No comparison - the Janome is a far better machine & you should see the 6600 quilting features. I am going to trade up next Spring. I'm very happy w/ my machine.