Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: machine question

machine question

I am experienced quilter/sewer looking for a new sewing machine. I have been looking at a Brother sewing machine. Does anyone have any advice on any of the Brother models? Or other brands you would recommend for quilting in the $100 to $700 price range?

Blog Entries
    I have a Brother Nouvelle 1500S and it is my absolute favorite machine (I own 7 machines, 2 of which are Brothers.) If you want to buy it new, Allbrands.com usually has it for $599 and they have very satisfactory customer service. I purchased mine from a quilter friend who had it on a frame and wanted to upgrade. I got both frame and machine for $400. That machine is my "daily driver" and a real workhorse.

I LOVE my brother machines. I have the inova NX-400 and it is my favorite. I sew every day and it never disappoints. I didn't buy that machine from them, but I have bought machines from allbrands.com and I've never had a problem.
    ~Laura

I bought a Janome Platinum and am really impressed with it. It's a smaller machine that is great for traveling but it's not a wimp. Have you considered looking at a Janome?

the PC-420 runs about 400 and they are very popular, love my brothers.
    Brother (XL-3500i, CV3550, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D), Juki MO-2000QVP, Handiquilter Avante

I have Janome's (3) and they are work horses however my DIL has a brother and she loves it. So go try them all out to see what you want.

My Daughter has the brother 1500 and loves it. She pieces and quilts large quilts with it.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    I have the Brother Nouvelle 1500S. It is straight stitch only, great for piecing and machine quilting. Many in my guild have mid range Brother machines, $400 plus and never have a problem that they gripe about. I like all new machines!
    Got fabric?

I have a Brother XR9000. I have had this machine for 3 years and have sewn with it 4 days a weeks & sometimes more. 3 years ago I paid a little over $200 for it. If I remember correctly I bought it from Amazon, but I'm not sure of that...it was online anyway. It has never given me a problem. Although, I did wear out the automatic needle threader, but have heard that happens a lot with all different types of machines. It does have some nice decorative stitches. I have used them, but not a lot. When using the decorative stitches I mainly use the blanket stitch for appliqué. The biggest fault I have with this machine is the small throat space. Are you wanting a basic straight stitch machine? Or do you want decorative stitches? Good luck & let us know which machine you decide to get.

Brother machines are great

Quote Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
    I have a Brother Nouvelle 1500S and it is my absolute favorite machine (I own 7 machines, 2 of which are Brothers.) If you want to buy it new, Allbrands.com usually has it for $599 and they have very satisfactory customer service. I purchased mine from a quilter friend who had it on a frame and wanted to upgrade. I got both frame and machine for $400. That machine is my "daily driver" and a real workhorse.
    I have this machine also and I LOVE it!! After I learned how to properly thread it, I've been very, very happy with it. I looove having eh extra space for free motion quilting and the stitching is perfect!!

The only negative is that the walking foot doesn't have a space for a guide bar...

Blog Entries
    I have all these PQ feet. They fit my Brother 1500. My friend bought a box of Brother feet at auction from a bankrupt dealer. http://www.brother-usa.com/Homesewin...3#.UgwQAJKURXk Scroll down to PQ feet.
    Got fabric?