Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Machine quilt templates >

Machine quilt templates

Machine quilt templates

Old 01-30-2017, 10:19 AM

My neighbor bought some from her Janome dealer but like everything else it takes practice. We're taking a class with Dusty Farrell this coming May out in Nebraska.............me for freemotion and ruler work.........her for ruler work on her DSM using these rulers as well as those sold by Dusty. We're bound and determined to learn how to use rulers on our perspective machines.
Old 01-30-2017, 03:35 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by AStitchInTime View Post
The foot sat flush on the machine so tight I couldn't even move a single sheet of paper around under it, much less a sandwiched quilt.
I wonder if you got the correct foot size. Maybe you got the high shank and needed the low shank?
Old 01-30-2017, 03:38 PM
Power Poster

Craftsy has classes for ruler work. Amy Johnson's Quilting with Rulers on a Home Machine is good as is Machine Quilting with Templates by Kimmy Brunnel. I prefer Amy's class.
Old 01-30-2017, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
I wonder if you got the correct foot size. Maybe you got the high shank and needed the low shank?
My first thought too, but I ordered the low shank ruler foot, I even provided my make & model of my sewing machine, and they sent me the low shank. Subsequent phone call to customer service said "Oh well, with some of the vintage machines the ruler foot will not fit properly"
Old 01-31-2017, 05:12 AM

If you really wish to know what is available, check Allbrands. They have most listed. I have some templates from another company, and these looked tempting, but when I watched a video, some looked too big. I normally don't make over a 12 inch block and some are much smaller.The sizes of the finished piece were not given.

The ones listed on Allbrands show the pattern and the size.

http://www.allbrands.com/categories/3387
Old 01-31-2017, 06:52 AM

That demo piece is really pretty.
Old 01-31-2017, 07:19 AM

Westalee templates were a welcome Christmas gift. I haven't used them yet as I'm waiting for the Bernina foot #72. According to the Bernina video on ruler work the Westalee foot can be used, but the operator has to be mindful of the automatic foot being raised as it can damage the machine. This was for the Bernina 800 series.
If an accident can happen - it will happen to me! I'll wait for the right foot.
Old 01-31-2017, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by donna13350 View Post
If you know a woodworker that owns a scrollsaw, they can easily make you all the templates you want. Plexiglass is cheap at big box stores like Lowes, Home depot, etc...it's just the pattern you want...I have a ton that my neighbor me, I paid less than 20 dollars for the plexiglass, and drew what I wanted with marker..he cut them out.
I have a bunch of templates that I love...I never thought of making them myself. My scrollsaw is always set up!
Old 01-31-2017, 10:21 AM

Using the rulers is not hard to do but it is a little different to do. It takes practice but it is so much fun. Just make a bunch of practice quilt sandwiches & try it I'm not that good yet with actual quilting so I use to, & still do, stipple or meander about everything. I like that method but I wanted to do more & the rulers really help with that in my opinion. You have to know which foot & maybe they sent you the wrong one. One of them is for high shank & one is for low shank. I can't quite remember how to measure them at the moment but the sites that sell them tell you how to measure & they ask what kind of machine you have. Also the foot has a slide-like on them where you screw it in. You can adjust it to make the foot go up or down depending on the thickness of your sandwich. ( I'm sure you knew that. Just mentioned it just in case.) I'm not home right now but I have both low & high shank foot so I can measure them for you if you want. Just PM me
Old 02-01-2017, 06:29 AM

I wondered how you could hold the template in place and still have 2 hands to move the fabric about under the needle. Do they stick in place or what?