Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
machine quilting with flannel backing >

machine quilting with flannel backing

machine quilting with flannel backing

Old 10-22-2010, 05:18 AM

Just put the label on a flannel backed baby quilt last night. Like others said: Bought good quality flannel, prewashed and dried, spray basted, walking foot, adjusted pressure and used larger stitch (approx 2.70). Results were quite nice. NOW I hope there's no more shrinkage or distortion when the quilt's washed!

Shirley in Shreveport
Old 10-22-2010, 06:02 AM

I, too, like flannel backs especially on quilts for "littles". The walking foot is almost a necessity. Usually I do stitch in the ditch to stabilize the blocks before doing any sort of decorative thing. (I wish they'd come out with a stitch in the ditch walking foot! Could really use that one.) I always start with the grain of the flannel on the straight and in the middle of the top or bottom working toward the sides with all of those stitching lines going the same direction. Then do the crosswise. When crossing those lines of stitching that were done on the straight, tug just a bit on the sandwich so it will stretch with the crosswise grain and work those puckers out. This will work on the little puckers, not excessive ones, which actually should not be there if you started out with the back perfectly flat. If you work on a table, try taping the back out so it is smooth when creating the sandwich. It sounds like your back may be sliding without you noticing.

Salemm asked about using a flannel blanket as batting. I did that on one of my first quilts and wish I hadn't. It is one that was for my younger daughter and the blocks were all embroidered--a lot of work. I wish I'd used a traditional batt in that one. My opinion--depends on the use for the quilt. If it's for utility, good idea. If it's for a treasure, use a traditional batt. Flannel blankets work well for batting in a rag quilt as it is extra warmth and adds to the fringe.
Old 10-22-2010, 07:36 AM

The first full quilt I did was flannel and it does stretch out as you go - I saw somewhere on one of the tv shows that you could spray sizing or starch to firm it up....maybe just try a section and see.
Old 10-22-2010, 07:53 AM

I also back all my quilts with flannel. I wash and dry first (very improtant). Sometimes I will use iron on batting to help stabilize and I always use a lite spray baste (505). I smooth it down several times before I spray and I quilt on my old Kenmore with a longer stitch.

Good Luck, I hope it works for you.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by illinois
I, too, like flannel backs especially on quilts for "littles". The walking foot is almost a necessity. Usually I do stitch in the ditch to stabilize the blocks before doing any sort of decorative thing. (I wish they'd come out with a stitch in the ditch walking foot! Could really use that one.) I always start with the grain of the flannel on the straight and in the middle of the top or bottom working toward the sides with all of those stitching lines going the same direction. Then do the crosswise. When crossing those lines of stitching that were done on the straight, tug just a bit on the sandwich so it will stretch with the crosswise grain and work those puckers out. This will work on the little puckers, not excessive ones, which actually should not be there if you started out with the back perfectly flat. If you work on a table, try taping the back out so it is smooth when creating the sandwich. It sounds like your back may be sliding without you noticing.

Salemm asked about using a flannel blanket as batting. I did that on one of my first quilts and wish I hadn't. It is one that was for my younger daughter and the blocks were all embroidered--a lot of work. I wish I'd used a traditional batt in that one. My opinion--depends on the use for the quilt. If it's for utility, good idea. If it's for a treasure, use a traditional batt. Flannel blankets work well for batting in a rag quilt as it is extra warmth and adds to the fringe.
I have Husqvarna Vikings and they just came out with a new walking foot that has interchangeable feet, and one of them is a stitch-in-the-ditch foot. It is wonderful. Another is a 1/4" foot. I love it!
Old 10-22-2010, 12:55 PM

I had the same problem. I prewashed my flannel, then spray basted back, batting and top and also pinned it down. I took my walking foot off and guided with my hands and kept material between hands flat. That worked like a charm and I was quilting on the diagonal. Happy pinning
Kate
Old 10-22-2010, 01:53 PM

Wish I'd known about all this 3 days ago!!! :D good thing it was a small lap quilt for Christmas :D
Old 10-22-2010, 01:56 PM
Power Poster

I just finished a baby quilt backed in flannel. I washed and dried the flannel twice. I didn't starch, pin basted and FMQ it. Came out fine. The only problems are with me and my abilities, not with the flannel!
Old 10-22-2010, 02:58 PM

I have made two lap quilts and one baby quilt with flannel backing and have never washed any flannel beforehand. I quilted in the ditch, however, I did use a LOT of basting spray on the flannel and batting as well as the top, pinned it very well, used the walking foot and bigger stitches, and very carefully worked it seam by seam while checking the back often for any puckering. It took a while and washed beautifully. It think if you machine quilt without too large areas of no quilting, the flannel should work out well without washing first. It has worked for me.
Old 10-22-2010, 03:13 PM
Power Poster

I think I might try not washing next time just to see the result i get.