Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Machine Quilting Problem

I'm trying to machine quilt for the first time. The bottom thread, which is light, comes up and shows on the top thread, which is dark. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am getting frustrated!! Thanks

Have you through about useing the same thread color. Or you need to adjust yout tenson

I believe you just need to play with tension a bit. Sandwich some scraps together with batting and adjust your tension using the scrap until you get it right.

I really want to use the light blue which matches the backing. The top has a variety of colors - I plan to change thread color for each color section. Do you think that lengthening the stitch would make a difference? Thanks

Thanks - never thought it might be the tension, but I'll try it.

Sounds like a tension issue. Hope it works out for you!

It sounds like your top tension is to tight. It is bringing the bobbin thread to the top.

Blog Entries
    I agree -- it's the tension.

Someone just mentioned in a different post that it is a good idea to use same color on top and bottom. I FMQ a quilt for my DH for Christmas last year and had a problem with the yellow I was using on the bottom showing on the top where it was black. I fussed with the tension and got it the best I could, and then when I was done, I went back and hand colored where the light showed in the black with a black pigma pen.

Good luck.

Banned
    I fully agree to try to use same color on back as front or you will always have pokey's showing through if there is a light and dark thread. This is my exsp. with using diff. threads. Also you will have less tension issues if you will use same thread on top as back I have learned that as well on my quilting adventure.

TENSION.WHEN I'm HAVING PROBLEMS...I REMEMBER T.N.T -Thread, needle,tension. Rethread, change needle and adjust the tension. Always have scraps of batting and test your tension before you start.

Blog Entries
    if your bottom thread is pulling up on the top the top tension is too tight, if the top thread is showing on the back the bobbin tension is too tight. start with adjusting the top tension just a little at a time and use a practice sandwich which has the same batting/fabric weights trying a line at a time until you have your tension even top and bottom. it is easier to adjust top tension but on occassion the bobbin tension does have to be adjusted. are the threads different weights? such as 50 wt in the top and 100 wt in the bottom? sometimes this makes the difference, but it is fine to use 2 different weights you just have to adjust the tension to accomodate it.