Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Machine quilting? >

Machine quilting?

Machine quilting?

Old 04-11-2014, 04:32 PM

Default Machine quilting?

I've been busy quilting today and just realised I can see daylight through the quilt! I'm using the correct needle according to the manual for quilting (purple tip). The backing fabric is quite a heavy african fabric in black. Its nice to touch but not so fine as the regular backing I normally use. With the sapphire I started using top stitch needles for quilting, primarily to prevent thread breaking. Would changing the needle help to minimise this? I've done about a quarter of the quilt in one of the preprogrammed designs. I assume that as it is labelled as 'quilting designs' that it is ok to use these for quilting? Haven't experienced this before. Possibly a combination of needle and coarser fabric? Any advice appreciated thank you
Old 04-11-2014, 04:40 PM
Power Poster

Are you, by any chance, talking about the places where the needle is going through the fabric during the quilting? I wonder if this will correct itself when the quilt is washed after it is finished....
Old 04-11-2014, 04:41 PM

I forgot to add I'm using sulky viscose 40 (gunold). Could this be the problem?
Old 04-11-2014, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Boston1954 View Post
Are you, by any chance, talking about the places where the needle is going through the fabric during the quilting? I wonder if this will correct itself when the quilt is washed after it is finished....
Yes I am. I wonder if I should unpick it? OMG it's quite a big quilt too
Old 04-11-2014, 05:16 PM

I have a sapphire 960Q and I use the embroidery needles when using those quilting stitches. I haven't had any trouble with the needle holes being too big. I don't use Sulky but I have used Madeira PolyNeon with no trouble at all. I am also wondering if after you wash it everything will close up.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:39 PM
Power Poster

I wouldn't unpick. Chances are high that the holes will close up in the first washing. Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it. Washing and drying tends to tighten fabric fibers (especially if the fabric was not washed first).
Old 04-11-2014, 07:01 PM

Ditto what Prism said. The holes will close up after washing and drying. I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:25 PM

Thank you. I've decided though to unpick as I think the design was too fussy for the quilt. That's the price of steaming ahead playing with my new toy rather than screwing the nut down! The holes have disappeared from the area I've unpicked so far. But it's going to be a long process! Act in haste.......
Old 04-12-2014, 03:34 AM

I noticed the same thing on a quilt i did when my daughter was testing it out on the floor. We all got under it like it was a fort and i realized that it looked like we were camping out under more stars than i've ever seen. I wasn't sure if it was normal so i didn't panic and after washing you can't see a single hole. That one was all pre-washed fabrics and everything has settled into place.
Old 04-12-2014, 05:03 AM

I agree, the holes will shrink up when washed.