Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Machine quilting >

Machine quilting

Machine quilting

Old 02-16-2010, 01:17 PM

I am using a Pfaff Grand Quilter (not the huge new one) to free motion quilt. (I'm not using a frame.) My problem is when I make a sharp angle turn, I get a little flick of bobbin thread showing. The stitch is otherwise good. I'm using a dark red thread on top, and a light coloured thread in the bobbin as the backing is just cream-coloured calico. Any suggestions?
Old 02-18-2010, 09:11 AM

I'm not sure if this will work, but try stopping with the needle in the down position and then turn the fabric. Might work?
Old 02-18-2010, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by sewcrafty
I'm not sure if this will work, but try stopping with the needle in the down position and then turn the fabric. Might work?
sounds like that would work.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:42 AM
KR

I find that using different color threads top & bobbin is a real challenge to start with. As I get more confident (and competent) with free-motion I'm not so afraid to use a thread that shows versus tone on tone, and therefore am using the same color, or close to it on top & bobbin.
The other thing I notice at those turning points you describe, is if I linger at that point too long the stitches pile up and the bobbin thread is likely to show on the top. So, I'm learning to take my foot off the pedal at the turning point (needle is in down position), then start again in the new direction....a couple of stitches at slow speed, then speed up and keep going. Make sense?
Old 02-18-2010, 10:46 AM

You're so right - matching top and bottom thread is the way to go! I won't put myself in the position of not matching the threads again.

After I wrote the request for advice, I did experiment a bit with tension, and tightened the bobbin tension and loosened the top some more. That helped - only a little bit of thread occasionally shows on top. I'm in a hurry to finish this quilt - it's a present due on March 13.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:57 AM
Power Poster

I found this to happen to me too...I was moving the fabric to quick when I wanted to make turns and the threads/stitches couldn't keep up :roll: