Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Machine quilting templates >

Machine quilting templates

Machine quilting templates

Old 12-27-2021, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by bkay View Post
I think those are misnomers. There are basically three types of "shanks"; low, high and slant. Here's an explanation of "shanks". The most common is low shank. The slant shank is a Singer Sewing Company invention and is only on "vintage" Singers. There is no "medium" shank that I am aware of. Some of the newer high-end machines have company brand specific feet (only their feet fit on their machines, like Bernina).

Since I don't do FMQ, I'm not exactly sure what the explanation would be as related to templates. The template is the plastic odd shaped "thingy" that you use as a guide for your foot as you move the fabric under the needle. There are many "mavens" of FMQ; Angela Waters and Leah Day are two of the most famous. They and many like them make templates for FMQ, plus have classes and videos for help in learning. Most feet used in FMQ are similar to "darning" feet.

As far as I know, the Westalee company (I believe they are an Australian company, but not sure.) is the first to come out with the feet and rulers for FMQ. As I understand it, Westalee only makes rulers and feet for low, high and slant shank machines. Sewsteady is their USA manufacturer and distributor.

FMQ takes a lot practice to master. There are all kinds of tips, tricks, classes and videos for learning FMQ. There are a plethora of videos on youtube.com. I would suggest you buy only one or two basic templates until you master them. Sewsteady seems to be a good place to start.

Just to let you know my history with FMQ; I bought a beginner Westalee ruler and foot for my (most used machine) vintage Singer with a slant shank and then figured out that my feet dogs wouldn't drop, which I just didn't think of at the time. I still have the foot and ruler, but have not bought another foot for one my other vintage Singers that do drop their feed dogs.

The ruler I received was a 1/8 in. thick ruler. My guess is that Bernina takes the 1/4 inch ruler.

bkay
If you have a machine that won't let you drop the feed dogs it is recommended that you set stitch length to 0 and some quilters will also tape something over the feed dogs to keep them from catching the fabric. Westalee was purchased by Sew Steady a few years ago and they will make sure you get the correct ruler foot for your machine; my Pfaff Performance 5.0 is a medium shank and uses low shank rulers & my Pfaff Passport 2 is a low shank using low shank rulers. As stated by DrosieD Sew Steady has tons of videos/projects on website and Youtube they even have Sew Steady University which doesn't cost anything to join and many of the classes/projects are free although some have a purchase cost but once purchased you can go back to them anytime you want.
Old 12-27-2021, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by sewingpup View Post
As far as I know, the foot on the BSR attachment is not a ruler foot unless someone has developed an additional attachment for the BSR. There is a separate really nice ruler foot for the newer Bernina's, but it can not be used with BSR.
I think there is now a ruler foot that will attach to the BSR (but it may not be made by Bernina). I was just happy that Bernina now makes a ruler foot for the legacy models, like I have.
Old 12-27-2021, 05:24 PM

If you're going to use a Bernina and want to make use of your BSR, Sew Steady has a table and adaptor that will accommodate the use of your BSR. I've purchased it and am glad I did. All you do is plug the adaptor into your BSR port, connect the BSR to the other end, screw the BSR onto the table and you're ready. You will be using the Bernina foot 72 or appropriate ruler foot from Sew Steady. Sew Steady is the only company that supports this.
Old 12-28-2021, 03:15 PM

If you go to this link, it will help you know which shank ruler foot you need. Just type in your sewing machine model. https://www.sewsteady.com/product/domestic-ruler-foot/
Old 12-29-2021, 07:27 AM

I made the mistake of buying these and never even used them. I have some that are thick and made by Amanda Miuer. Others made by Sew Steady. Both of these sets are great. I am a bit slow in using them. Being left handed has made a difference in how I am able to use them with success. But I am still working on it.