Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Machine Recommendations? >

Machine Recommendations?

Machine Recommendations?

Old 03-23-2013, 05:40 AM

I have a Pfaff, brother, Bernina, Singer featherweight, baby lock. I like each machine for different reasons.
For piecing I use the featherweight or Pfaff with walking foot. Brother or Baby Lock are the best for embroidery. Bernina for general sewing. So, go to your dealer, take small pieces of the same fabric with you to each dealer and see how you like the machine, look at your samples, etc.
Old 03-23-2013, 05:40 AM

I started looking for a new machine last fall, and ended up purchasing a Juki F600 in January. I did a ton of research and tried out machines at every dealer in town. Jukis may not have the reputation of these other brands, but I have completed 3 quilts in the last 2 months without a single issue. I don't regret my purchase.
Old 03-23-2013, 05:56 AM

Hi Jamie,

I know you will find a great machine. I would like to say I have three and one being a Janome I purchased special in order to take back and forth to class. When it was demonstrated to me, the man did hold the thread for a stitch or two. Also, he never adjusted the tension and did the following: He put in silk... to folded up 3 or 4 folded layers of blue jean material and strongly suggested I not move the tension. He did NOT move the tension nor change the needle. He informed me that most people do not get the tension set back as they should and there lies a lot of their sewing problems. The Janome 7318 Magnolia I have is used throughout the school system in Wake County NC he informed me and it is a tough machine. I have indeed found this to be very true. I am not a sales nor spokesperson for Janome, but I do indeed enjoy my Janome, as much or more as I like my old 1950's or 1960's White Sewing Machine in Teal blue I found at a thrift store in a cabinet for $20.00.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:13 AM

I would definitely have a machine I could easily take to a dealer for services or repairs. After that it is up to you if you can afford a long arm would be ideal. Mid length arm the 16 something. All these are good at quilting . If you have a small throat would you be disappointed it was not larger as you are quilting on it.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by Nanny's dollface View Post
Like many have said, buy the best you can afford. I recently was in your shoes. How I approached my search:
1. Identified local shops that sell machines. If I needed repair work I wanted a local dealer rather than having to ship the machine out.
2. Identified the features that I wanted - keep an open mind as there are features that I never knew existed. Your priorities may change.
3. Set a maximum price point.
4. Visit the shops and test drive each machine. Note the feel of sewing, the noise level, how easy is it to thread, practice with types of stitches.
5. Find out what is offered with purchase: classes, trade-ins, trade-ups?

I went to the store thinking I would try out a Singer- that's what I had 30 years ago. Ended up with a Viking Emerald 118 and love it. It has been a work horse. Being in between jobs, I have used the machine almost every day for 6-8 hours making quilts and other sewing projects. I have even FMQ a Queen size quilt despite the narrow neck.
Good Luck shopping.
Nanny I did this also. You & Shelbie are right this is the best way to find the right machine w/ the features you need @ you price point. I have 3 sisters & we are all sewing on different machines. We learned on the school's when in high school, but all had different situations & options wanted.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:36 AM

My Pfaff 2046 just died--[computer board & bearings worn]---got a Brother INNOVIS 450 Q---think I'm really going to love it---the most important part of my decision was the dealer---always good back up and one of the best service men in Kansas---Salina Ks
it threads --cuts the thread ---makes button holes in a snap---has almost 300 stitches---came with an extension table--needle up & down and a knee lift---I do apparel sewing as well as quilting and at 77 years old don't think I could justify a kazillion $ machine
Old 03-23-2013, 06:50 AM

Brother pq1500s. About 600 dollars at Amazon or look around. Very solid straight stitch (hence narrow feed dogs). Excellent for piecing and FMQ. Very limited bells and whistles (needle down, pin feed, dogs down, reverse, thread cutter, thats about it). Purchased mine after continued frustration with quilting on Viking Sapphire 875. Never looked back.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:00 AM

I think it depends on the amount you want to spend. I have a Janome 6600 which I love and also a Viking Sapphire. Which ever machine I am using at the time is my favorite, so I can't decide which I like best, but they both have features I really like. (Wish I could combine the two) I recently was reading about the new Brother with a laser light that helps you sew a straight line and it sounds like a great machine but expensive. I would test drive as many machines as you can and buy the one that feels right to you. If you can go to a quilt show, then you can try all the different machines in one place and compare.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:01 AM

I totally agree it as important to find a good dealer as finding the best machine for you. The dealer needs to have your back, be available when you have problems, etc. Staff is equally important, ie how does the owner treat the staff? Has the staff been trained to help customers? Do they offer classes on your machine, especially one on one time? They may sound like too much to some dealers, but it is your $ and you deserve the best you can afford for your "creative" times.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:19 AM

I have a JukiTL98Q and I love it. I piece and fmq with this machine. What a work horse!