Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Which machine (s) are best - from a Beginner >

Which machine (s) are best - from a Beginner

Which machine (s) are best - from a Beginner

Old 02-18-2012, 09:10 AM

Default Which machine (s) are best - from a Beginner

Am just beginning - don't even have a machine, or anything else but a book I purchased a few years ago. Am now ready to begin in ernest - I would like to hear from some of you about which machine is the best - I am not looking for the cheapest (within reason) but the best and most versatile, comprehensive and easy to use - specifically for quilting. I am toying with the idea of embroidery - if that complicates the issue - then just stick to the best for quilting.

Any suggestions would be appreciated - even if you can just let me know the features necessary to quilt.

B. rgds,

Virginia H.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:20 AM

I would suggest you get a name brand, Brother, Janomie etc. with the basics that you need for piecing and comes with a walking foot for quilting. I have 2 Brother machines and love them. Go to several quilt shops and try them out, usually they are very friendly and helpful. I would stay away from WalMart machines. They carry the low end of the brand name and don't have a long life to them. Good luck and welcome to the world of sewing, quilting, material and stash.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:23 PM

My recommendations:

- set your budget limit.
- decide if you would accept a good used machine.
- consider what features you need vs want ... needle down, fancy stitches, feet that come with machine, additional expensive accessories such as an extension table or walking foot.
- try out different brands and see what you bond with best.

As you talk with other quilters you may find a good used machine at a great price.

ali
Old 02-18-2012, 01:31 PM

There are great used machines that are quite affordable. As people upgrade they turn in machines all the time. if you have a Sew and Vac in your area check them out . Many will give a warrenty on a used machine. The all mechanical machines are much easier to maintain than many of the computerized machines and will last and last . Just a note light weight is not always a good thing ... it means many of the metal parts have been replaced with plastic.
But think about what your REAL needs are before and write them down .. it is very easy to get "up sold" .
Old 02-18-2012, 02:01 PM
Power Poster

Here is a new portable that everyone is raving about:

http://www.husqvarnaviking.com/ca/en/25554.htm
Old 02-18-2012, 02:13 PM

Personally I've had Singer, Brother, and several others I can't even remember and I am totally in love with my Bernina. However, it was pricy. See if any of the sewing repair places/sales of used machines will allow you to rent something for a week or so. Then you can try them. Perhaps take a class with a store class rental machine, and ask others if you can try theirs during lunch? If you are careful and they are watching, they might let you.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:27 PM

I wouldn't be nearly as concerned with what brand of machine you get as I would dealer support since you're new. Go to a reputable dealer in your area and sit down with the machines and try them out. Find out what sorts of classes the dealer offers and how many classes you'll get for free.

I would say the minimum is needle up/down, either built in walking foot or a good separate walking foot and the ability to drop the feed dogs and the right foot for free motion quilting.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:37 PM

I grew up on Singer machines. I hadn't sewn in about 20 years and started back about two years ago, with a Singer. I bought a Brother in December and love it! It's a SE400, does both sewing and embroidery. It's considered a beginner machine but has a wide variety of stitches.
Old 02-18-2012, 03:39 PM
Power Poster

I so agree with ScissorQueen!
Old 02-18-2012, 03:43 PM

Im a newbie and went to my local Janome dealer and got a Janome DC3050~easy peasy to use! Cost $499.00