Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
machine stitch that looks like hand stitching >

machine stitch that looks like hand stitching

machine stitch that looks like hand stitching

Old 05-13-2019, 05:49 AM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Pikesville, MD
Posts: 706
Default machine stitch that looks like hand stitching

I saw a Fons & Porter show where the guest showed a stitch that looks like sashiko. She used monopoly on top and a thicker thread in the bobbin, and the stitch was five tiny stitches in the monopoly, and then it pulled up the bobbin thread for a long stitch on the top, resulting in a sashiko look. Does anyone know what machine stitch this is?
carol45 is offline  
Old 05-13-2019, 11:35 AM
  #2  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 4,782
Default

That's been on Pfaff machines for decades. Now it's on some other brands, I think. I have to look in my instruction manual for the name of the stitch.
The Babylock Sashiko machine makes an actual quilting stitch, without the clear thread stitch inbetween. I have one and love it for quilting small projects. I chalk on a stencil and follow it. This is not fast quilting, like longarm or fmq can be. It's a slower process, and the machine is like no other. It has no top thread at all, only uses a bobbin thread and the threading is also unique to that machine.
JustAbitCrazy is offline  
Old 05-13-2019, 11:44 AM
  #3  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 4,782
Default

On my Pfaff Tiptronic 2040 there are two, and they are called Quilting Stitch No. 11 and Quilting Stitch No. 15.
JustAbitCrazy is offline  
Old 05-13-2019, 12:03 PM
  #4  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Milton DE
Posts: 3,179
Default

Originally Posted by JustAbitCrazy View Post
That's been on Pfaff machines for decades. Now it's on some other brands, I think. I have to look in my instruction manual for the name of the stitch.
The Babylock Sashiko machine makes an actual quilting stitch, without the clear thread stitch inbetween. I have one and love it for quilting small projects. I chalk on a stencil and follow it. This is not fast quilting, like longarm or fmq can be. It's a slower process, and the machine is like no other. It has no top thread at all, only uses a bobbin thread and the threading is also unique to that machine.
I have the Sashiko Babylock also and LOVE IT! Well worth the cost which in my opinion compared to other machines was very reasonable
hobbykat1955 is offline  
Old 05-13-2019, 12:05 PM
  #5  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Milton DE
Posts: 3,179
Default

Originally Posted by carol45 View Post
I saw a Fons & Porter show where the guest showed a stitch that looks like sashiko. She used monopoly on top and a thicker thread in the bobbin, and the stitch was five tiny stitches in the monopoly, and then it pulled up the bobbin thread for a long stitch on the top, resulting in a sashiko look. Does anyone know what machine stitch this is?
I think if you look for a you tube on how to use domestic machine to create sashiko stitch...I bet a ton of them will come up
hobbykat1955 is offline  
Old 05-13-2019, 05:58 PM
  #6  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Utah
Posts: 1,449
Default

Some Bernina machines have that stitch. It doesn't look as good in person as it does in the video. The monopoly really shows.
quiltedsunshine is offline  
Old 05-14-2019, 12:29 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Brownwood TX
Posts: 747
Default

What's monopoly? Is it a clear thread?
Robin in Texas
rob529 is offline  
Old 05-14-2019, 12:59 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Pikesville, MD
Posts: 706
Default

Originally Posted by rob529 View Post
What's monopoly? Is it a clear thread?
Robin in Texas
Yes, FYI it's pronounced mono-poly. You can look it up at Superior Threads.
carol45 is offline  
Old 05-14-2019, 01:52 PM
  #9  
Power Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 38,014
Default

There is a YouTube video of the stitch on a Bernina. It is done by high tension on the top to pull the bobbin thread to the top and the clear thread is between the bobbin thread. It makes the quilt sandwich squished down because the tension is so high.
Tartan is offline  
Old 05-14-2019, 03:01 PM
  #10  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 1,163
Default

Singer has what they call a 'bean stitch' on some of their models. i tried it a few years ago, and decided against it. it made a beautiful hand stitched look on top, but on the back it had little knots behind every stitch. i didn't have time to play with it, but maybe if i had i'd have liked it better. Shop staff didn't know much about it at the time.
donna13350 is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Glenn
Main
14
04-13-2014 04:52 AM
rjmeditz
Main
9
02-26-2014 08:11 AM
AlienQuilter
Main
4
01-10-2013 09:16 AM
carolaug
Links and Resources
23
09-08-2012 12:54 PM
Glenn
Main
88
01-21-2012 08:20 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


FREE Quilting Newsletter


SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.