Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Machine suggestions? >

Machine suggestions?

Machine suggestions?

Old 09-12-2020, 02:05 PM
Power Poster

Don't know what it may cost. A large throat is better for quilting. I have a 9-1/2" throat machine I mainly always do FMQ.

Welcome to this board, lots knowledgeable people on here. Most are always willing to help.
Old 09-13-2020, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by mistyfog View Post
Hi,
I am new to the forum - I'm an advanced beginner I guess. I've been using a Husqvarna Viking Computer 500 - which my lovely step-mother gave me years ago. Finally I've had time.. and gotten the quilting bug! Quilting has been a real lifesaver during the pandemic lockdown - sewing saved my sanity!

My machine is a good horse (heavy!), but I would like to upgrade. I mostly have done straight piecing but would like to do quilting & try free motion quilting too. I want a machine I can take to my sewing group.

I'm looking for a machine like the Janome 3160. I would like these features: ability to FMQ, needle up-down, thread cutter, speed control, light enough to travel, lock-stitch. I am less concerned about embroidery, a bazillion stitch choices. I don't need the latest & greatest! I want to spend under $400 if possible. Is that reasonable or am I hallucinating?

Thank you! Misty
Misty, I had a Viking 500 and yes...it was a very good machine.....I paid $1000 for mine many, many years ago. I used it for a good while...then gave it to my brother when I purchased a Viking D1. He used it in his RV for years and after he passed away, it was sold in a rummage sale....I felt bad about not keeping it but at the time, I had several machines....anyway...latest I heard was that the buyer gave it to her sister and it is still happily stitching away down in Florida. So I would suggest just keeping the 500 as it will probably be a lighter machine than a newer one that will do all of what you want....and I really don't think you will have much luck getting one for under $400 that you will be happy with unless you find a super deal on a used something.....I now have a Bernina 570 that cost much more than the viking 500 and also weighs a lot more and I will not be using that one as a travel machine...my old viking D1 is still stitching away but replacement parts are no longer available. good luck finding the machine of your dreams. The 500 will probably make a good travel machine
Old 09-13-2020, 10:20 AM

Another fun place to look if you are into used and vintage, and if you're a bit daring is https://www.shopgoodwill.com/ it is an auction site similar to ebay....but it is US nation-wide Goodwill listings. just type 'sewing machine' into the search box, and have fun.