Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Machine Table-Against the wall or >

Machine Table-Against the wall or

Machine Table-Against the wall or

Old 10-22-2019, 05:08 AM

My sewing table is a farmhouse type table that my DH made into a drop-in area from my machine to sit flush with the tabletop. It is located in front of the room’s only window. My cutting table’s extension is up on one side and the ironing board extends out from it on the next wall to the left of the machine. On the right wall of the room are my 3 vintage machines/cabinets with overhead storage cabinets. Behind me beside the door to the room is my 4th vintage machine/cabinet and a large storage closet for my stash. I wish I could move the sewing table out a little into the room because I cannot reach across it to open the window after we turn the A/C off for the winter months. Otherwise
the arrangement is very workable for me.
Old 10-22-2019, 05:16 AM

My current machine is on top of a smallish sturdy computer stand in the smallest bedroom of the house. There is a wall (with a window) to my right, a desk behind me (when cleared off I use it as my cutting table), the stand/sewing machine in front of me, about 6-12" of space and a tall large deep bookcase. Currently I have a bedside table next to desk, but I want to move that out and put in a storage unit I got at the goodwill, one of the nice heavy clear plastic drawers/black case things.

Any way, while I can piece in a small space, for quilting I want as much space ahead of me and to the left. I used to set up on the corner of my large dining room table, it was nice, a crib quilt fit, twins weren't bad and queens were manageable. No longer have that table and I really don't want to quilt anything larger than twin in my current setup -- and that is at the edge of my ability.
Old 10-22-2019, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by BonnieJP View Post
Wow, JMoore. Your sewing studio is fabulous.
Thank you Bonnie...I just wish I had more spare time to enjoy it.
Old 10-23-2019, 04:38 AM
Power Poster

My sewing machine is in a Koala style cabinet (don't know what brand it actually is). The cabinet is on wheels and has a wonderful fold down extension. When I am piecing it is floating and by back is to the wall and window so light comes in and shines right on my work area. If someone comes into the room I am facing the door and can easily look up. I quilt on a longarm so I don't need to worry about supporting anything. But when I attach binding, I turn the cabinet and extend the table out so the left hand side is against the wall and the front of the cabinet butts up against the radiator. These help keep the quilt from sliding off the table as I attach binding. I like having the flexibility of a dedicated cabinet on rollers. I can change it and move it as necessary.