Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Machine Tacking ... gack

Machine Tacking ... gack

I decided to machine tack my daughter's quilt, which I'd originally tied early on in my quilt making career (two years ago). I didn't tie it in enough places, so I ended up un-tying it and then I went through and machine tacked it hoping that would give it some additional stability. I should mention that she didn't use it for very long before I learned about my error, so it didn't bunch up inside or anything.

But anyway I think I now have to bury about a million threads. Has anyone else ever machine tacked a quilt and if so do you bury threads or just clip them? I hate to clip them because it seems like they would come unraveled, but dang that's a lot of threads to bury. It's going to take weeks to finish and there's no way I'm ever doing it that way again. It's continuous line quilting for me from now on ... I hate burying threads ...

I am a longarmer, and I square knot and bury threads. I don't enjoy the process but love the results. I have spent more than 12 hours burying threads after the quilting is done.

Blog Entries
    My son has some high dollar spreads. After inspecting them this is what I found.>>
    They are straight top stitched about 4” every 8” apart across the top>>
    Then about 8” below each row of stitching the pattern is repeated below the blank 8” stitching above. I think the batting is poly as it is high loft and thick. >>

Blog Entries
    I used the tie off feature on my machine. I guess I would clip one close and rub the tack with my finger nail. If it looks like it's coming out, I think your only option is to pull the threads to the back, do a square knot and leave about a 1/4" tail.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Blog Entries
    well i did the small circle stitch available on my machine. clipped the threads.
    see the circles in the pieced blocks? one in each corner.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman

Blog Entries
    I stitch in one place for about five stitches and then reverse for five. Feed dogs down. 0 stitch length. I clip the threads as close as possible. Not one tack has come apart in my DD's quilt I made her 10 years ago. An auto thread cutter is a big time and thread saver on machines.
    Got fabric?

I use the stitch to sew buttons when i machine tack. it does a "stitch-in-place" at the beginning and end. so far everything has stayed put.

As others have said, I too just stitch in place for a few stitches then clip my threads close .

there is a special needle that is open at the top. you just pop the thread in and pull it through. No "traditional needle threading" which is the most time consuming part to me.

Senior Member carolstickelmaier's Avatar
    I use the ilet setting on my machine and have never had one come undone. It is so quick and easy especially for all the charity quilts we do. Also do my "drag around" quilts for the grand kids.

Quote Originally Posted by bakermom View Post
    I use the stitch to sew buttons when i machine tack. it does a "stitch-in-place" at the beginning and end. so far everything has stayed put.

Never thought to use that stitch....how smart!