maching sewing binding on back >

maching sewing binding on back

maching sewing binding on back

Old 10-12-2010, 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by IBQLTN
Originally Posted by JeanieG
Originally Posted by wishiwerequilting
Originally Posted by Lystra
thanks for the videos I found another one on youtube but I can't get mine to look that good on the back but I'll post it anyway.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jw0EcUJsDE&feature=related
While at youtube, check out the Sharon Schamber technique.
She has excellent videos on preparing the binding, sewing it to the quilt, and turning it. This video shows it stitched by hand (for very important quilts) but she also has a power point presentation on turning and stitching by machine. She is a prize winning quilter and this method does work.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PE0Y...eature=related
http://www.sharonschamber.com/free%2...ng%20Class.pdf
I found Sharon Schamber's video wonderful. On another thread we are trying to figure out how to get the tip she uses on the Elmer's School Glue. I was totally amazed. Would never think of using school glue and a hot iron to glue down the binding before sewing! Learn something every day on this board.
She has a link on her website to purchase it. However, shipping costs as much as the tip does so if someone finds a reasonably priced tip, please share.
Try looking in a crafts store. I got one a few weeks ago with something I ordered, but darned if I know where I put it....
Old 10-12-2010, 06:20 AM

Second I just used the idea somebody posted the other day where you made the two strips and stitch them together. A seam ends up on the edge and you topstitch the front and back at the same time. First try and it turned out good and it was fast. Plus you can have different color bindings on the front and back of the quilt.

This exactly how I do it, mainly because I am very impatient and by the time I get to the binding I want to be done w/ that paricular project. Love the u-tube link, thanks for sharing, I always forget to use the walking foot-makes the method so much easier if I choose to use that method.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:22 AM

When I do a binding completely by machine I sew it first to the back, then bring to the front. I use a small decorative stitch on the front as I think it looks prettier than a straight stitch.

Sally
Old 10-12-2010, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by catmcclure
thanks guys....for all the great advice. I do agree that handstitching looks best but I have not tried pulling the binding to the front. I don't have very many decorative stitches so I'll have to zig zag....can't wait to try it!
I have a tutorial for a faux cording binding. You sew two strips together one 1-3/4 inch and one 1-1/2 inch. When you press the fold you end up with a 1/8 edge of contrasting color. Sew the binding to the back (contrast color on top) and, when you bring it to the front, you stitch in the ditch and it makes a gorgeous binding.
Where is this tutorial?
Old 10-12-2010, 08:19 AM

I used by blind stitch foot and adjusted it to the width i need, a few spots didn't catch, but for the most part it looks pretty decent without spending hours on it
Old 10-12-2010, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
Sew the binding to the back and turn to the front instead. Then do a decorative stitch -- this won't detract from the pattern/design/"look" of the quilt off the edge of the binding on the back as it might on the front. Use a decorative stitch rather than a close-to-the-edge stitch.

Jan in VA
This is a great way to do it. I also use water soluble glue to tack it down (press with iron to dry the glue fast and more securely).
Old 10-12-2010, 08:25 AM

thanks guys....for all the great advice. I do agree that handstitching looks best but I have not tried pulling the binding to the front. I don't have very many decorative stitches so I'll have to zig zag....can't wait to try it!
How about doing a blind or hem stitch instead of the zigzag? Just a thought. All the best
Old 10-12-2010, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by swimmom
Ok so this is backwards - but I sew it to the front, then stitch in the ditch on the front to sew it on the back
I have also done it this way. Just make sure the back portion of the binding is a tiny bit wider that the front part so the stitches will catch the edge of the binding. Mine came out great (only missed a few spots and they were easy to fix!) Looked just fine.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:26 AM

My very favorite method of binding a quilt is how Kaye Wood
does it. Your miter is sewn in and it works every time.
I cut my binding strips 2 1/2" and sew them to the back and turn over the front and stitch down with either a straight
or fancy stitch.
Sharon W.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uf7Mm_mkbCc
Old 10-15-2010, 02:19 AM

I have been trying to machine sew my binding on the back of my quilt instead of doing the blind stitch by hand and it doesn't look good! But it takes forever to do it by hand. I would like to stick to doing it by machine so does anyone have any ideas how to keep it straight and looking good on the back and STILL catch the binding?
If you can get Ricky Timms DVD on how he does quilts it is worth it. On the DVD he shows you how to do a binding with a piping and it only takes me about 3-4 hours from start making the piping to the finished quilt.