Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Magic Quilt Blocks?

Junior Member thevintageseamstress's Avatar

Red face Magic Quilt Blocks?

I am what you would call a novice quilter and recently watched a youtube video where a wonderful lady was making pinwheels just like magic! The one where she puts two blocks together and stiches all the way around them and then cuts criss cross and wala! she opens them up and makes the most beautiful pinwheels. I am sure this method has been around a long time but my qestion is this, is there more blocks that can be done that way and if so where the heck can I find the instructions? I saw a book called the 10 minute block and am hoping to order one soon because it looked like it had blocks like that in it. Any recomendations?
    Thanks in advance, cold icy Fort Wayne Gwen! lol
    Did you say you dropped the pie!

I just posted this same address in answer to another thread. Use www.youtube.com/missouriquiltco
    Jenny Doan is a wonderful and exciting teacher.

Blog Entries
    Murphy1
    For our wonderful Golden Retriever adopted in March of 2010.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thevintageseamstress View Post
    Thanks in advance, cold icy Fort Wayne Gwen! lol
    Yeah, wasn't yesterday a hoot. The Journal-Gazette said we set a Nov 29 record for rain, 2.37 inches. Glad I had allready planned on staying home in the sewing room all day today.

Check on U-tube, Missouri Star quilting. They have a lot of tutorials and there is a similar one by the 3 dudes quilting that uses strips. Really cute block!

To the Vintageseamstress and other novice quilters...I've seen the videos and agree its a quick way to make pinwheels, there is another video she does for a quick table runner using the same principle...just one word of caution. When you make a block like this you end up with OUTSIDE bias edges. This makes the pieces of fabric fairly unstable, stretchable. Please when using this method starch heavily and handle pieces with extra care not to pull on them. You will end up with a mess. I do wish that this lady from the video would emphasize this fact. If you plan on doing this please do it first on a small project before diving in head first.

Quote Originally Posted by Steady Stiching View Post
    To the Vintageseamstress and other novice quilters...I've seen the videos and agree its a quick way to make pinwheels, there is another video she does for a quick table runner using the same principle...just one word of caution. When you make a block like this you end up with OUTSIDE bias edges. This makes the pieces of fabric fairly unstable, stretchable. Please when using this method starch heavily and handle pieces with extra care not to pull on them. You will end up with a mess. I do wish that this lady from the video would emphasize this fact. If you plan on doing this please do it first on a small project before diving in head first.
    I am so glad you have mentioned this. You are absolutely right on this method. Thank you for posting it.

You know. . . I was thinking about those bias edges and I wonder if you couldn't cut your original squares on the diagonal, so that when you sew around the squares and cut them, the sides would be on the straight of grain. It would be more trouble initially and waste more fabric, but the end result would be stable blocks that would be easier to put together.

Blog Entries
    There is a block called crossed arrows by Anita Grossman Solomon (from her book called Rotary Cutting Revolution). It is fantastic! Same basic concept as the pinwheel block...

Blog Entries
    Sorry, it's actually called arrowhead, and can be downloade free fromm Quiltmaker.com.

Blog Entries
    You can do a search on YouTube for the 10-minute block, the author of the book has posted several videos there, showing how to make that block. You can watch them for FREE!

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the information. Anything easier and or better is always welcome.

Blog Entries
    .......just one word of caution. When you make a block like this you end up with OUTSIDE bias edges. This makes the pieces of fabric fairly unstable, stretchable. Please when using this method starch heavily and handle pieces with extra care not to pull on them. You will end up with a mess. ..................
    First, I agree that heavy starch can be your friend. Highly recommended for all fabric, IMHO.

However, outside bias can also be your friend. The bias edge, while can possibly stretch, also eases in as well. In my experience, starch and squaring up will give you great blocks, bias or not. I have made may a block with outside bias edges, and my tops are square and lie flat. Good pressing is a must, also.
    Stephanie in Mena

Junior Member thevintageseamstress's Avatar
    Thanks to all who took their time to reply. I do use best press and the other spray starch that is sold right beside it at Hancock. I have not any trouble with the blocks but I do press each seamed block and I square up, its the best piecing I have ever been able to do! lol I am going to buy the book 10 minute blocks but have not found one cheap enough yet. Blessings to all!
    Did you say you dropped the pie!

Quote Originally Posted by thevintageseamstress View Post
    Thanks to all who took their time to reply. I do use best press and the other spray starch that is sold right beside it at Hancock. I have not any trouble with the blocks but I do press each seamed block and I square up, its the best piecing I have ever been able to do! lol I am going to buy the book 10 minute blocks but have not found one cheap enough yet. Blessings to all!
    I used this video & made a lap quilt.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbTHlGGKMPM
    Bev
    My initials are BB, so dublb is double B.

Hello Thevintageseamstress,
    Here is what I have in my folder re these fast pinwheels. Thanks also SteadyStitching for the tips about the bias edges.
    Thanks so much for putting me onto the free Arrowhead patterjn skate.
    Pinwheels fast easy Jenny Doan >>
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekYpJzHoW6E>>
    Steady Stiching tips just one word of caution. When you make a block like this you end up with OUTSIDE bias edges. This makes the pieces of fabric fairly unstable, stretchable. Please when using this method starch heavily and handle pieces with extra care not to pull on them. You will end up with a mess. I consider myself a learner too, thus I find great info in this forum.>>
    >>
    Anitas Arrowhead quick cutting like pinwheels>>
    Discover a revolutionary piecing technique to make a classic block. Designed by: Anita Grossman Solomon • makeitsimpler.com Skill Level: Easy
    Technique: Piecing Size: Throw, 51”x 59.5”
    For a limited time, download the FREE Anita’s Arrowhead pattern (PDF file).>>

http://www.quiltmaker.com/patterns/details.html?idx=12909>>
    This is the PDF file >>
    http://www.quiltmaker.com/content_downloads/QM_Anita_s-Arrowhead.pdf>>
    >>

Blog Entries
    I wonder if this second book would give you more bang for your buck
    Here is a video showing some of the different variations that are in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&fe...&v=BmyfoLNQAHo
    “The simplest toy, one which even the youngest child can operate, is called a grandparent.” Sam Levenson

I found the 2 arrowhead tuts from here on the board.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...k-t102942.html
    I've tried this one.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...ck-t92447.html
    Bev

Bev

I agree about starching the blocks, but starch them before you cut them, because if you cut them first you will stretch them out of shape. just my 2 cents.

Last edited by valleyquiltermo; 12-02-2011 at 07:59 PM. Reason: typo
    http://www.skillpages.com/DonnaValleyquiltermo
    Sweet Dreams come from under Cozy Quilts made with love.
    Life is short, take time to enjoy it. Play with your kids and g-kids,
    and do what you can for others.

HelP!! Can someone tell me how to bookmark this thread? I know it goes by another title now, but can't seem to remember what. Thanks in advance.
    One step at a time, always forward.

Quote Originally Posted by GailG View Post
    HelP!! Can someone tell me how to bookmark this thread? I know it goes by another title now, but can't seem to remember what. Thanks in advance.
    Gail- Go to the left of this page & find Thread Tools. Click on it. You'll get a drop down. Click on Subscribe to this Thread. Set it up.
    Bev

Quote Originally Posted by dublb View Post
    Gail- Go to the left of this page & find Thread Tools. Click on it. You'll get a drop down. Click on Subscribe to this Thread. Set it up.
    My "Thread tools" is top right, just above the first message.

Quote Originally Posted by CircleSquare View Post
    My "Thread tools" is top right, just above the first message.
    You are right. I'm so sorry.
    Bev