Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
MAGNETS ??? not again! >

MAGNETS ??? not again!

MAGNETS ??? not again!

Old 08-31-2010, 04:15 PM

Was @ a SEW FUN day @ LQS yesterday. One of the new items was an embroidery hoop with magnets to hold the 2 pieces together (I can hear your collective GASP!) I HAD to ask the presenter.... She said that magnets do not affect computerized machines. She even said that she had a magnet pinholder right next to her machine. I would imagine that the company making the hoop would not intentionally sabatoge lots of expensive machines! SO! I was in the same LQS today and asked the repair man the same question. He gave me the same answer. Most magnets are not strong enough to do damage unless you rub the magnet all over the computerized side of the machine. (WHAT??) Or they are enclosed in plastic?? Well! Just thot I would pass this info on to you all. I, as most of you, paid good $$$ for our machines and I DO NOT plan on getting a magnet anywhere NEAR my machine! FYI!
Old 08-31-2010, 04:20 PM

Interesting... and yes I've read many times about magnets & computers....but my large magnet pin "cushion" sits on my sewing desk right next to my Husqvarna Sapphire 870 and sat beside my Lily 540 before....and ... touch wood.... no problems....
Old 08-31-2010, 04:22 PM

Thanks, but I will pass on that hoop...no magnets for this quilter, except on the magnetic extending thingy that I can pick up pins...
Old 08-31-2010, 04:32 PM

I was using my compurtized machine about 6-8 months before I found out about magnets. Mean while I had been wearing two magnetic braclets. I never ever took them off.
Old 08-31-2010, 04:53 PM
Power Poster

The computerized machines have a magnet shield around the sensitive computer parts. No manufacturer can afford to be replacing sewing machine because a pin cushion got close to one. That's just common sense.
Old 08-31-2010, 04:59 PM

I had the red magnetic pin holder , used it "next" to my machine with non problems. But one time when I was clearing off the cabinet top, I sat it in the sewing machine bed. A few days later when I went to sew, zilch!! Thank God it was still under warranty! I am not going to take any chances!
Old 09-01-2010, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by clem55
I had the red magnetic pin holder , used it "next" to my machine with non problems. But one time when I was clearing off the cabinet top, I sat it in the sewing machine bed. A few days later when I went to sew, zilch!! Thank God it was still under warranty! I am not going to take any chances!
Wow Carol, :shock: that would have cause me to have a heart attack. This is good to know.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:39 AM

I ask my tech about the magnets as I have an embroidery machine. He said the magnets that are used for pins and needles and the magnet bowls mechanics use are not strong enough to hurt the machiness. They use to say don't vacuum
near your machines another wife tale. I have used my magnetic pin cushions for 5 years haven't had a problem. But if it worried me I definatley would not use them. Peace of mind is worth a lot.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:56 AM

I have to laugh abt the magnetic bracelets.... I used to wear one all the time but the day I looked down to see a bunch of safety pins hanging on - I knew it was time to take it off.(at least while sewing) I also was getting scissors and other things stuck to me. Several times I actually was attached to a part of the sewing machine.. lol!