Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Magnified view for binding

Magnified view for binding

Does anyone use one of those headbands with a magnifier attached to it (something like this one https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) when you are doing handwork such as binding a quilt or EPP or hand-quilting?

I need something to help out my old eyes. I've got a magnifier that goes around my neck on a cord, and it's okay---but it kind of shifts around a bit too much.

So I'm just looking for something better.

Thanks for any advice!

Yes, I use a loupe all the time for picky work. Mine has a different design but essentially does the same thing as your example. I couldn't stitch in ditch without it.

I have one with a band around my head, that is adjustable. It does a good job of magnifying, but it hurts my head, because getting it tight enough so it won't slip down causes a little button in the front to press into my forehead. Design flaw.

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Gnome View Post
    I have one with a band around my head, that is adjustable. It does a good job of magnifying, but it hurts my head, because getting it tight enough so it won't slip down causes a little button in the front to press into my forehead. Design flaw.
    Moleskin,baby,moleskin. It's not just for feet anymore, lol. I had to use it on one of my bike headlamps. Works great.

I have a couple of lamps similar to this, with the clamps, etc. I snap them up when I see them in thrift stores. If its one that has a peg on the bottom that fits into a holder that clamps onto the table, they are easily replaced, if missing, with a piece of wood with a hole drilled in it and a C-clamp. I find that my springs never put it where I want it (maybe that's why I found it in the first place???) but I use a shoe lace tied to something overhead or to the side, and just make it work. https://www.amazon.com/Elucidate-Pow...with+magnifier

Quote Originally Posted by janecat View Post
    Does anyone use one of those headbands with a magnifier attached to it (something like this one https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) when you are doing handwork such as binding a quilt or EPP or hand-quilting?

I need something to help out my old eyes. I've got a magnifier that goes around my neck on a cord, and it's okay---but it kind of shifts around a bit too much.

So I'm just looking for something better.

Thanks for any advice!
    This could work when sitting at the sewing machine too! I will have to look into it further.
    Jennifer: Organized in my dreams.
    🌷RIP dear Tigger....you are missed!
    Buddybear's Mom ...Yorkie Fur Baby

I just use 'cheater' eyeglasses for close work. I have prescription glasses for computer work. When discussing my close, handwork with the eye doc he recommended just using the 'cheaters'. I buy them in the 3 pack at Walmart. A bit better quality than the dollar store. I have them in varying strengths all over the house for when I have various fidley things to do.

You cannot possibly know how helpful this thread is to others-like me. My husband and I were having this discussion yesterday. He is a model railroader and needs extra help with some of his work. I can't wait for him to get up this morning to show him these things on Amazon. By the way, I need help with some of my stitching. So, thanks for the helpful information!

Oh, il so glad I read this op and responses! I too find things getting "fuzzy" and small print unreadable without my hand-dandy little hand held magnifier....will start hunting for one of those mag lites for my epp work!

I use the Big Look when sewing and DH uses it when doing detail work at his shop work table. I have one for each of my machines. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0kJi_9OfRk

There is a longer extension rod for the bigger machines.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

I have the Big Look for working at the machine
    I have this one I use for a ton of stuff
    https://smile.amazon.com/MagEyes-Mag...band+magnifier

My husband has a similar set up to your type, I found the distance too far to be practical
    I have magnifiers of various kinds in every room of the house.

Blog Entries
    I am thinking of getting this one:
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B071GWM9QN/
    ot his one:
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B007CDJKM2

My dh sometimes layers 2 or 3 pairs of reading glasses when he is fixing something small, and there are times when I could use something like this too. For me the extra light would be helpful as well.
    Last edited by Prism99; 01-08-2018 at 01:07 PM.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I have an Ott floor lamp that I set up behind the couch. I can bend its neck to direct the light exactly where I need it. Works like a charm.

Blog Entries
    Another vote for the simple solution of cheater glasses. My favorite ones I found at Home Depot for $5. They're very lightweight and the part that goes over your ears is soft and flexible. I forget I'm wearing them.
    Last edited by Peckish; 01-08-2018 at 04:44 PM.

I have used Mag-Eyes for years, with the strongest lens available for it (the #7 lens). It's nice, because the eye portion is positioned down for the handwork (quilting, cross stitch, embroidery), but you can lift your own eyes and see normally for the TV or for talking with people. I wrapped yarn around the headpiece to make it a little bit snugger. https://www.amazon.com/MagEyes-Magni...+and+lens+%237

You can buy them from several different outfits. I got mine from Nordic Needle, but they are sold out at the present time.

I have a longarm, and I was having trouble being able to see what I was stitching like I wanted to. So I bought a pair of clip-on magnifying glasses on Amazon. They clip onto your glasses and can be flipped up when you aren't doing close-up work.

mac
    I also use cheaters for close work. Sometimes, if I need to look at something really closely, I will use the cheaters over my pair of glasses to get a greater magnification. You can't use them like that for too long because it will give me a headache, but for that picky little seam where the threads are all piled up on each other it really helps.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    3.0 and 3.25 "reading" glasses for me for close work; who knows what I will do when I need more magnification?!
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

I have a pair of magnifiers that clip on my regular glasses that I use when I need a little extra help to see things. They work great and you can flip them up so that they are out of the way when you don't need them. I also have an Ottlite with the magnifier on it. The whole glass is magnified and then there is one little circle that is much more magnified so that you can see even the tiniest things clearly.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight