Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Magnifier to attach to machine >

Magnifier to attach to machine

Magnifier to attach to machine

Old 08-10-2014, 05:48 PM

I have the same machine and wanted a magnifier fitted. The ones at my LQS were awesum, on a bendy arm held onto the harp of the machine with a clamp. Alas my machine is wayyyy too chunky, no way it would fit!! Yet to find a solution other than I've placed an LED lamp to the left of my sewing table for extra light on the needle area. Also, you'll get more light and much easier to see if you open up the side case thingy first.
Old 08-10-2014, 06:22 PM

The Janome optic magnifier is not available for your machine, only the models in the 8000 and up series. Magnistitch carries a magnifier that you can mount on your machine. You can see it here:

http://optelec.lowvision.com/magnist...magnifier.html

And there is also this one:

http://www.magnifyingaids.com/Deluxe...67d157c9d65c68
Old 08-11-2014, 02:25 AM

One thing you might try while you search for a magnifier is to place a small white object (paper, cardstock, material) down under the needle area or just behind it when you thread the needle. The hole of the needle becomes more visible making this job far less of a challenge.
Old 08-11-2014, 03:49 AM
Power Poster

I am also starting to have the occasional problem thread my Bernina. THANKS for all these helpful hints!!
Old 08-11-2014, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I am also starting to have the occasional problem thread my Bernina. THANKS for all these helpful hints!!
If you want help threading the machine, I have to say- I don't recommend the Bernina magnifying set. I've taken to removing mine to thread the needle, as it kind of gets in the way of the thread path through the tension disks and stuff. I guess you could take it off for that part and then put it back on... (It is possible to thread with the glass on, just a pain in my opinion)

Does your machine not have a needle threader? I don't need to be able to see the eye on the needle to thread mine.

I will recommend the magnifier for quilting. I don't know why I went so long without it- it is going to save my back, my posture is so much better now! I just wish Bernina sold them as singles, as I don't really need a set of 3.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-01-2014 at 04:09 AM. Reason: language
Old 08-11-2014, 05:22 PM

I can still thread the needle on mine. Of course I use big eye needles also. What I have trouble with is getting the needle in the right place while paper piecing. Just started this night before last, but I think its going to be a winner.
Old 08-13-2014, 05:33 AM

A long time ago I purchased a package of sewing machine needles. Unknown to me I purchased a handicap needle (not sure of the proper name). It had a hole on the top side of the needle hole so that you could just slide the thread down the side and it would be threaded. I've never looked for that needle again but maybe you should. That would definitely solve your threading problem. Good luck!