Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Mail order gamble >

Mail order gamble

Mail order gamble

Old 06-22-2015, 03:35 AM

I didn't know of this problem. Thanks for educating us. Peckish, I hope you can figure out a use for your fabric. Or maybe a trade or sale of it.
Old 06-22-2015, 03:57 AM

You are VERY lucky (and the dark red is great). Most of the time if you have to go back for more, the color can be different from bolt to bolt. It can be so very hard to get the same dye lot. WOW, you did great.
Old 06-22-2015, 04:24 AM

Even if you order the exact fabric, the colors may not match due to different dye lots. I usually try to buy a little extra to allow for errors.
Old 06-22-2015, 06:02 AM

Red is one of those colors that you can never have too much of, but remember the days when red was red? Of course then there were the days when you went into the grocery store to buy a box of cereal and now you need a half of an hour to look at all the labels, etc. The fact that it is the binding is a plus as it won't matter so much, but I do know what you mean. All in all though I've had excellent luck with ordering online using the pictures provided, guess I'll count myself lucky.
Old 06-22-2015, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by paoberle View Post
Even if you order the exact fabric, the colors may not match due to different dye lots. I usually try to buy a little extra to allow for errors.
As is typical of me, I bought all this fabric without a clue as to pattern, so just tried to "wing it." I would have had enough to finish the quilt if I hadn't been so determined to bind it in red. I would have used one of the other fabrics for binding if I couldn't locate the red, so I'm pleased I found it.
Old 06-22-2015, 07:24 AM

I had the same problem on a fabric. Couldn't tell from the pic online which one I needed so ordered them both. The only problem then is whether they're from the same dye lot as it could be off just a little. I bought a kit last week and decided to split it into 2 smaller quilts for twins. I knew I had most of the same fabrics but will only need the binding fabric. Went to my stash and mine it off just a smidgeon but since its for the binding I doubt if anyone will notice. I cut enough to bind one whole quilt leaving the original for the other quilt just to be safe. The rest will just go into my growing scrap box.

I have to same one thing about buying a kit from Connecting Threads. This one took 36 different fabrics for the body and they gave you a fat quarter of each color. You only needed about 6-7 inches x 10 so more than enough. I was impressed. Even the binding was more than enough for the original pattern. Now of course the background fabric I haven't measured to see how much I'll have to add to but I have it so I'm not worried. The kit was on sale for 40% off and I added how much it would have cost me if I'd purchased separately and WOW I got one heck of a deal plus the fact that they give you more than you really needed. I'M VERY IMPRESSED!!!!!!
Old 06-22-2015, 11:13 AM

Red is always difficult to match. You might have thought about using a different binding color. Hope you are able to fix the problem. Enjoy the new Red Stash. It will be great at Christmas
Old 06-24-2015, 04:12 PM

That happened to me at Joann. I got lucky and found it at Joann online because I still had the receipt with the product number on it. I was pleased that it was exactly the same.
Old 06-29-2015, 08:40 PM

I would have done the same, when I order fabric online I order extra just in case especially when it comes to a solid. Because the colors look so different then seeing it in person.