Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Make 75 large fat quarter bags in two weeks? >

Make 75 large fat quarter bags in two weeks?

Make 75 large fat quarter bags in two weeks?

Old 05-21-2021, 01:24 PM
Power Poster

Default Make 75 large fat quarter bags in two weeks?

Several years ago my sew group sold the large fat quarter bags at a craft show There is a big craft fair in two week at the Sate convention center here and a woman that is a vendor there called and asked if I would make her 75 bags to sell and she would give me $20 per bag. LOLOLOLOL I said first off the quality fabric, thread, and no roll elastic cost more then that, there is no way I could make 75 in two weeks and most importantly I don't sew for money. She wasn't happy and said she thought guild members would be more supportive of the craft world. I said she might call the guild president and ask her to make them.
Old 05-21-2021, 01:36 PM
Power Poster

My sew group now makes these bags to be given to foster kids with a quilt inside. They hold a ton of stuff, easy to carry, and easy to stow under a bed.
Here is the pattern. free from Martindale We use solid fabric instead of fat quarters for the bags for the kids and teens. Older boys tend to like camo, sport team logos, or solid color bags. oh and not have the handles tied to look like a bow. We use thick soft rope for the boys.
https://www.shopmartingale.com/image...uarter-bag.pdf

Last edited by Onebyone; 05-21-2021 at 01:42 PM.
Old 05-21-2021, 02:45 PM
Power Poster

She thought you were a miracle worker!
Old 05-21-2021, 03:28 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
She thought you were a miracle worker!
She just had no concept of the cost of fabric and supplies, or the time involved in making the bags. I wonder if she stocks her booth completely with items made by others.
Old 05-21-2021, 05:44 PM
Power Poster

You couldn't pay me any amount of money to do that!!! I sew for pleasure. Period.
Old 05-21-2021, 06:27 PM
Power Poster

I wonder if she stocks her booth completely with items made by others.

I think she and most others do that. . Lots of the jewelry or one of a kind items are mass produced but only one of each of the many in stock are shown to make it look custom made. You want one like that?Ok I can get one for you if you want to pre pay. Learned that trick from a boutique owner. It's not fair to the crafters who do make each item but seems the pro vendors do it more and more and the clueless can't tell the difference! That is what they depend on. The last big craft show I went before Covid I was very disappointed. Looked more like the Sunday flea market vendors.
Old 05-22-2021, 03:10 AM

I've made that bag! It was huge! I relegated it to a beach tote because it will hold over 4 beach towels! It was a bit time consuming, but I think it was my learning curve. It is also what dragged me down into the tote bag cycle that I'm currently experiencing. I made a couple of smaller versions with this idea!
--And, No, I would not make one for $20.
Old 05-22-2021, 03:23 AM

Good call, not possible and just not reasonable to ask any one to sew that much in such a short time for so little money. Your response was spot on.
Old 05-22-2021, 05:28 AM

I printed out the pattern. It looks interesting and I have fat quarters I want to use up somehow. How did you make smaller versions? Did you just cut down the size of the fat quarter pieces?
Old 05-22-2021, 06:20 AM
Power Poster

You don't need to use fat quarters. You can use solid yardage for the outside and the lining. When I use yardage I use the full WOF for the width size and cut it to length.
The most useful tool to making this bag is the Clover Clip and Glide Bodkin. The best bodkin I have ever used.

Tip: run the elastic through until the end of the elastic is at the beginning, stitch the end of the elastic to the beginning of the opening then pull it to the other end with the bodkin then stitch down.

If your lose the end of elastic you are pulling it's a hassle. That's why the Clover bodkin is a dream. It won't let go. If you use a big safety pin as a bodkin it will be frustrating.
My sew group says this bag has to be big because you have to crawl inside it to make it. LOL

Last edited by Onebyone; 05-22-2021 at 06:26 AM.