Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
To make a quilt, or not make a quilt >

To make a quilt, or not make a quilt

To make a quilt, or not make a quilt

Old 04-01-2011, 03:33 PM

My mom suggested that I make quilts for my nephews, for when they move into their "big boy" bed. But my sister-in-law keeps saying she wants to learn how to quilt and I feel like she should be the one to make the quilts for her sons. The thing is, she's been wanting to learn how to quilt for at least 5 years now, but hasn't made an effort to learn how. I've offered to teach her and her mom, who quilts, has offered to teach her as well.

I've already made them baby quilts. Should I make them "big boy" quilts, or should I wait and let my SIL make them.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:34 PM

You can't have too many quilts...so go for it!
Old 04-01-2011, 03:37 PM

I would love to make quilts for my nephews but IMHO i think it would be nice to ask her if she is ok with you making them quilts not to get offended that she can't make them for herself, maybe this time will take the effort to actually learn and you will have fun teaching her.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:38 PM

I'd go ahead and make them the quilts. There is nothing written that says no one shall have more than one big boy quilt, lol. If your SIL finally decides to move forward with her desire to quilt she can always make them another. Heavens, they have sorts of life events still ahead of them that will be worthy of a commemorative quilt.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:41 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Uh, yeah, this wishing-but-not-getting-around-to-it thing can be really frustrating. I once had a client like that; even got suckered into buying fabric for her which she never paid for or used.

Then again there are things I wish for, want to do, plan to get involved with "someday"(learning to slipcover, losing 60 lbs., repainting the whole house, writing a book, getting married again.....) and know I probably never will. Too bad. But I'm slowly realizing that just wishing doesn't make it so when effort, focus, determination, and real intent are involved, LOL!
Maybe that's her problem, too, but she hasn't realized it yet.

Jan in VA

Jan in VA
Old 04-01-2011, 03:45 PM

Perhaps you can bring up to her that she has wanted to learn to quilt and not the boys are moving into big boy beds they need bigger quilts and you would love to make them quilts along with her.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:57 PM

Thanks for the suggestions! Maybe I can talk her into make the quilts together :) If not, I'll just make the quilts myself. Like you said, you can't have too many quilts!
Old 04-01-2011, 05:26 PM

I didn't know there was a limit on big boy quilts. I guess I'll have to take a couple away from my grandkids--LOL! And what is he supposed to do when his quilt is in the wash or needs to be repaired? My kids would turn me into Child Welfare if they only had one blankie! (or covey as my second son calls them)
Old 04-01-2011, 05:29 PM
Power Poster

I would only if you really want to.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:19 PM
Power Poster

Pick a date and tell her that you are going to start the quilts then and would love for her to come & learn. This way, she knows that you are making the quilts and she has the opportunity to play or not.