Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Make templates & rulers so they won't slip.........

Make templates & rulers so they won't slip.........

Was in a quilt shop talking to the owner.We were discussing ruler & templates slipping as we use the rotary cutter. She took us to her work area & had a template, moved it around on her fabric, turned it over & that thing would not budge. She showed us, she had sprayed a light coating of 505 basting spray on the back. What a great way to hold the rulers down too. In order to remove the spray she uses goo gone. She also keeps her templates in zip lock bags to keep them clean when she isn't using them. I want to spray all of mine. I was truly impressed. I know you can use the dots,sand paper etc. Any one ever heard of doing this?
    Love the OLD, UGLY, & WELL LOVED

Power Poster
    I purchased some Invisigrip for the back of my rulers. It does help to keep them from slipping as much. I have never used 505 on my rulers but if you like it, use it.

Yup, I tried it once. Would've been great if I had sprayed less. When they say a little, they truly mean just a little. It did work really well. I like the invisigrip better myself. Seams cleaner because I don't store my rulers in bags. They are out in the open on my table, machine, floor, kitchen counter.... LOL

Blog Entries
    It's hard to spray just a light coating of the glue. I think I would spray into small cup and then dab a few spots on the ruler. That should be enough to hold the ruler in place and not be so sticky all over.
    Got fabric?

Blog Entries
    I also use the Invisgrip. I do have some rulers that I think are Creative Grids or something like that and they came with little grippy circles on the back.
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

I have tried the Invisigrip, but I don't think it retains its tackiness very long. I really like the sandpaper dots and Creative Grid rulers. My friend swears by her Martelli rulers.
    MNnancy - living along the Mississippi River in central MN, Brainerd Lakes area

I will have to try that and remember just a small amount. Thanks DJRustic.

I use the invisigrip, talked to a quilting friend about it today she uses press and seal (like you use to cover dinner leftovers) said it worked great and if it gets dirty just peal it off and put on new. she said she likes it, maybe I need to try it. It would sure free up more $ for fabric! LOL

I also like Creative Grid rulers.
    my name is becca and i'm a quilt-a-holic :-)

When I bought sewing stuff from a widower, his wife left behind a l-o-t, I found those little dots of sandpaper. They work very well in keeping rulers from slipping....
    ~ I'm a Blessed Nanna to 2 Grandsons & 5 Granddaughters ~
    ~ I'm a Blessed Mom to DS & DDIL, DD & DSIL ~
    ~ Mom to 3 cats, Callie, Buddy & Daisy ~
    ~ God Bless the USA ~ ~ God Bless Our Troops ~

I like the little plastic dots I think I got mine from Grace co.

I have little 2.5 lb weights that I place on mine

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    i had my rulers - apparently too close- when was spraying down my batting.. the over spray got on it and luckily it was on the underside... YUP. Works great !!! Not bad for an accident !!

I agree with you, Nancy, I have the Invisigrip on some of my rulers and it seems to lose it's ability to work. I know of a couple of gals in my guild that do the quilt spray thing. I have also heard of using hot glue dots but have not tried it. I do like the sandpaper dots. I have a Martelli rotary cutter and like it a lot but what makes their rulers different, Nancy? BTW, you live just north of me about 50 miles! you are very blessed to have 2 good quilt shops right there-----dangerous!! I go to Grubers...........(mostly!)
    Quote Originally Posted by MNnancy View Post
    I have tried the Invisigrip, but I don't think it retains its tackiness very long. I really like the sandpaper dots and Creative Grid rulers. My friend swears by her Martelli rulers.

Quote Originally Posted by mighty View Post
    I like the little plastic dots I think I got mine from Grace co.
    I just found these they are called True Grips (True Cut by Grace Co) and I love them. There are 15 per package for about $6.00. I use Marti Michelle templates a lot and found that I can use the little dot in the middle of the circles for these. Even cut up the surrounding rubber and used it so no waste. I have tried everything else and these are truly my Favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by Dar-midlife View Post
    I agree with you, Nancy, I have the Invisigrip on some of my rulers and it seems to lose it's ability to work. I know of a couple of gals in my guild that do the quilt spray thing. I have also heard of using hot glue dots but have not tried it. I do like the sandpaper dots. I have a Martelli rotary cutter and like it a lot but what makes their rulers different, Nancy? BTW, you live just north of me about 50 miles! you are very blessed to have 2 good quilt shops right there-----dangerous!! I go to Grubers...........(mostly!)
    On the Invisgrip I think the reason it loses some of its tackiness is due to oils from hands and things in and around. I believe that like the angler that I have if you wipe with a damp cloth you will see that you get some of that tackiness back.

I have used basteing spray for years - love it. Invisigrip just doesn't do as good a job. When I need to clean mine, I use fingernail polish remover and then respray.
    Aronel aka Lee

Blog Entries
    Has anyone ever used a small circle (like a dot mentioned above) of rubber cement? I'm brainstorming...

No. I haven't thought of doing this. Sounds like a worthwhile idea though. Thanks for sharing.

I use rubber cement all the time. It is both cheap and effective!

Best product I've found is the transparent medical tape. No residue and it doesn't block any ruler markings. Curad and NextCare makes the tape.
    I love my life!

I'll have to try the medical tape. i've used doublestick tape. When it stops sticking, just replace it.
    Sue Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by Basketman View Post
    I use rubber cement all the time. It is both cheap and effective!
    I do the same Basketman