Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
make your own Heavy Starch >

make your own Heavy Starch

make your own Heavy Starch

Old 10-06-2011, 08:46 AM

Thank you so much for the info/formula...
Old 10-06-2011, 09:19 AM

My Mom used to dampen laundry (to be ironed) and put in a plastic bag in the freezer and then pull it out when she was ready to iron. :-) (Hmmm, I don't remember ever having to go into the freezer looking for anything either!)

Marysewfun
Old 10-06-2011, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by jetmaio
wow thanks, am just in the process of spray starching my pieces. I wrote the recipe and will have it done shortly thanks to you.

Funny this just brought to mind my aunt's curtain stretcher and her dipping her crochet bowls in sugar.
Yes, I remember a neighbor used to "stiffen" her doilies so they would sort of ruffle on the table and then put a candy dish or lamp in the middle. Oh, the fun of memories! :-)

Marysewfun
Old 10-06-2011, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
Did you know that you can make your own heavy duty spray starch for under .20 cents ?! Here's a simple, do it yourself recipe.

1/4 c. Corn Starch
1/2 c. Cold water
1 qt Boiling Water

Dissolve the cornstarch in the cold water, stirring well. Pour dissolved starch mix into boiling water, bring to boil, cook 2 minutes over medium heat. Remove from heat, cool. This makes a Heavy Starch, great for laundry or crafts.

****If you plan on storing this for any length of time, add 1 Tbs. of Lemon Juice as a preservative. It will prevent spoilage/mold.***
I used this recipe to starch the brim of one my sunbonnets about a year ago. I wore the sunbonnet recently - that brim was STILL stiff from this stuff.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:34 AM

Wow, that sounds like hard work, and I know it was. And we think we have it tough! :lol:
Old 10-06-2011, 09:59 AM

That is an old one - I remember my mother always made starch this way. She would be 114 years old if still living.
She also used blueing in the rinse water to whitten the whites. My how things have changed.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:09 AM

Mrs. Stewart's Concentrated Liquid Bluing
in the laundry aisle at my local grocery store
Old 10-06-2011, 11:21 AM

My mom used to always sprinkle her laundry, roll it up put it in a plastic bag, and place it in the fridge over night. Boy, does that bring back childhood memories.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:02 PM

That's the one, did not know it was still around. My mother also sprinkled the clothing and rolled it up, put in a bushel basket overnight, then ironed the next day. Yes, sometimes old memories are the best, but always keep an eye on tommarow.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:58 PM

Jackie, I am old enough I remember making starch to do my cotton clothes and laundry! Starched and ironed all cotton dresses, aprons, blouses, skirts, husbands shirts, kids school clothes, table cloths, pillow cases,dresser scarves, doilies, etc. With the onset of permanent press and automatic driers, it went by the wayside. I learned all this from my sweet mother who did that and most of the early years in laundry tubs outdoors and we carried water in buckets, heated in a tub over a fire and hung things on a line. "Good old days"? Sometimes I think they were, but I am grateful we don't have to do it now. :)