Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
This makes me so sad - Estate Quilts >

This makes me so sad - Estate Quilts

This makes me so sad - Estate Quilts

Old 06-23-2011, 09:45 AM

I think that it is good that they are being sold and not circle filed. I really hate to see that. I hope that my family when I go wont have to sell any of mine because I wont have any around the house to sell. I give them away as fast as I can make them. I have three that I have finished that are itching to go to their new homes. Two are going to a church nursery and one to my new neice. the nursery ones are waiting for the nursery to be finished getting a make over and the nieces is waiting on me to decide which of the two girly ones to give.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Rose_P
Better be there when the sale starts, and maybe wear chain mail. You surely won't be the only one to have spotted that stash! I wouldn't feel guilty or speculate too much about why they are being sold. Sometimes it's easier to sell things than to try to divide them up fairly among the heirs, and also, these may be just the ones left after they kept the best of the best.
I agree with this. My grandfather was an avid collector of antique clocks. He had about three dozen in his house when he died. We each chose one to keep (my mom, his only child, kept a handful) and there were still a whole bunch left over, so they all went into the estate sale. It was a wrench watching them be sold because he was so proud of his clocks, but it doesn't mean we didn't appreciate them or recognize the love my grandpa put into collecting and refurbishing them.

I hope the quilts at the sale find good, loving homes. :)
Old 06-23-2011, 10:49 AM

I'll come back and haunt my kids do you hear me! They better not sell mine in an estate. I would rather they donated them to a shelter. I've only made money off of one baby quilt. I make them and give them. When I give my kids a quilt I tell them if you ever want to throw it in the trash let me have it back, someone will need it.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Chickerson
I did not post this to be harsh ladies. My plan is to go to the sale (if possible) and hopefully offer a few good homes. I appologize if I offended anyone.
I'm not offended...I know that any quilts that you are lucky enough to get will be going to a good home.
Old 06-23-2011, 12:31 PM

[quote=Tink's Mom]
Originally Posted by Chickerson
I did not post this to be harsh ladies. My plan is to go to the sale (if possible) and hopefully offer a few good homes. I appologize if I offended anyone.
I am not offended either... We all quilt for different reasons. I don't quilt for prizes, profit or posterity. I quilt because I enjoy doing it. I don't care where my quilts end up. I give them away to those I think would like them. But I give them without expectations. Actually, like it better when they get WORN out because that means they were used.

I have many books. I love to read. Maybe my book stash competes with my quilting stash in terms of quantity. I have some really nice first edition leather bound books that I love, but I realize that at sometime when I am gone they will probably end up in a yard sale somewhere for $1.

But I am the one who gets the pleasure now from having them. What more can I ask?
Old 06-23-2011, 12:51 PM

My DD's don't care much for quilts, so I make them as gifts for others, charity, or for myself. When the time comes, they'll have to decide what to do with those that are around my home. Sell, give, donate, whatever. I'm okay with that. Much as I'd like to think a relative or friend wants them, if they don't, they don't. I don't let that take away from the pleasure I have in planning and making them.
Old 06-23-2011, 01:01 PM

I like the fact that maybe someone will get a chance to have a hand quilt...even if it is one that wasn't made for them.And whose to say........maybe all her family are gone to...and you sure can't take them with you.......
wish I was close to where I could buy one...( if I could afford it)
GOOD LUCK hope you can get one or more....
Old 06-23-2011, 01:11 PM

We make them because we enjoy doing it. If my kids don't want them when I am gone I hope they give them to a shelter or something like that. I would love for others to enjoy them. My kids would rather have those fleece blankets unless I can make an uber soft quilt, one that folds around them. I hope you get there on Friday and are able to get a couple. Could you call ahead and get a sneak preview or pre-sale buy?
Old 06-23-2011, 05:40 PM
Power Poster

If you get one please show us a pic!! :)
Old 06-23-2011, 05:42 PM

If you have a preference about how you want things done write it down and give everyone a copy.