Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
This makes me so sad - Estate Quilts >

This makes me so sad - Estate Quilts

This makes me so sad - Estate Quilts

Old 06-24-2011, 06:45 AM

Yes, I agree. I just purchased a quilt top at a antique shop yesterday for $30. I don't know what it is called but it is those little hexagon pieces, all hand done. I commented to the shop owner how angry the person would be if she knew how cheaply this was sold for and her comment was "she passed away and her daughter brought in a bunch of stuff to get rid of." How very sad. But I have a gorgeous quilt top that I have no idea what to do with it but it will be loved at least.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:56 AM

My brother-in-law once used a quilt my mother had given my sister as a drop cloth when he was painting. He just saw it as a large piece of cloth that would protect his floor from paint!!. But then when my mother passed away on June 9 of this year, we draped one of her quilts over her casket under the flowers. Different people see quilts different ways.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:59 AM

I am in totaling agreement with you. Some family do not appreciate the hard and loving work to make a quilt.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by wendy053
It could be that they have closets full of other quilts that were made and gifted to them. Better to pass them on to those who will enjoy and cherish them than have them languish, unused and unseen.
Took the words right out of my mouth! more or less. Think of how thrilled the people will be that can buy something like this at this sale. Not everyone has a parent or grandparent that gives them wonderful quilts. Her/His talent will be shared.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
It could be that they have closets full of other quilts that were made and gifted to them. Better to pass them on to those who will enjoy and cherish them than have them languish, unused and unseen.
i agree, why would you assume the worst of people who decide to sell off some quilts,

they might have cherry picked items to keep and are now allowing others to enjoy her work.

it could be that the family needs money, in today's economy its not far from reality, and they want to raise money to send their children to college.

i'm sure the grandmother would be thrilled to know that her quilts and stash financed the higher education of her grandchildren.

my point is don't think the worst of people you do not know their story and should not pass such harsh judgement against them.
I agree. My son showed up at my door yesterday. I haven't seen him for over a year. I showed him some quilts and paintings I've done. His reaction? You could sell those and make money! Especially funny was his comment about a painting, "This is nicer than those ones you can buy at Walmart!"

I'm guessing that was a compliment.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:19 AM

Glad your going to the sale because it will be interesting to see what some of these go for. Hopefully there are others like yourself at the sale and the estate gets a fair price. Let us know okay?
Old 06-24-2011, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Chickerson
This makes me so sad to see a closet full of love being sold at an Estate Sale. I'm guessing the family doesn't understand the love and time it took to make these memories. I'm going to try to get to the sale on Friday.
Generally, the family does understand. I recently purchased from a widower part of his belated wife's stash. He wants to use the proceeds to help put his grandkids through college. His kids had already been through the quilts and taken what they wanted. The room was overflowing with stash and quilts... I was happy to help out. However, I hope to use up a greater percentage of my stash, and give to charity what I make when my kids are not in need of another quilt.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:41 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Yooper32
In defence of the families who let these things go in an auction, around here it is the usual practice that "everything" goes into the auction and if separate parties want a certain item, they must bid on it like the rest of the crowd, there is no picking favorites before the auction. So, it is sort of a sad situation and if I lose a bid to someone who is determined to get a certain item, I always feel better thinking that possibly it is a family member bidding against me to get a prized possesion. Most of the time, I don't know who is family and who isn't but if I know, then I will not bid an item up. I think everyone at these auctions feel badly for the families, but that is the way it goes if they decide to divide the estate in this way.
A prominent family's oldest died leaving everything she had to go to auction. The family had to bid to get it. No immediate family but the grandkids. But she left each grandchild $1million in cash apiece so they could bid on whatever they wanted. And they got to split the proceeds from the auction . I thought this was hilarious. I bid on a pressure canner and the grandaugher was next to me talking to another grandaughter saying how she remembered granny canning apples in it. The kids bid mostly on household furniture and a few decorative items.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:04 AM

I too have quilt tops from antique malls. Mine is a dwr all hand pieced. I paid $50 for it. It was being used as a back drop on a wall in one booth. It is makde of shirting fabrics. Makes me wonder who this was made for that didn't get it. But i love it and will quilt it and use it with love for what it is--a masterpiece to me.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:19 AM

[quote=fabric_fancy]
It

you're right. If you have ever had to deal with disposing of someones treasures you get a whole nother picture. You can only do so much. it could be breaking their hearts to have to sell their loved ones treasures.
Disposing of a loved one's estate is a whole subject in-and-of-itself...it can be overwhelming! Actually it is something that we all should be considerate of...the STUFF we acquire.
I go to auctions, and when the quilts come up, I shake my head, and say,"Someone is SPINNING IN HER GRAVE right now." It is amazing that the quilts go for SO LITTLE. It almost makes me sick.