Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Makinbg Simple quilts >

Makinbg Simple quilts

Makinbg Simple quilts

Old 12-20-2010, 09:04 AM

story in magazine "BACK HOME" jAN/fEB 2011. iNTERESTING READING mAKES A PERSON STOP AND THINK WHEN WE TALK ABOUT COST OF MATERIAL. Happy Holidays to everyone.
Old 12-20-2010, 01:48 PM

I can relate to that. I have a picture of me as a girl when I was a car hop, with the menu and prices on a board behind me. The hamburgers were 39 cents, added cheese 5 cents more.

But when you take into consideration the wages paid then, the prices were in line with them. I think at that time (early 1950s) we got the magnificent sum of 75 cents per hour and we worked mainly for tips. We were all sure to be on the ball and cheerful ALL the time, made more tips that way. We were all also all the time trying to find ways of doing things that pleased the customers.

Now when I go to a store and try to find a sales clerk, they are busy, almost rude, don't know (this is a popular response!!) or simply impossible to find unless you go to a cash register and wave money or cards in the air. I've debated screaming at the top of my lungs but haven't gotten to that yet. Maybe next year.
Old 12-20-2010, 01:50 PM

Never heard of that magazine. Seems that I get offers for every one ever printed, but that is a new one to me. It actually sounds interesting, along with Reminisce. Scares me how much of that I can remember!!

I'll look for it online.