Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Making blocks match >

Making blocks match

Making blocks match

Old 02-25-2017, 04:13 PM

Well here I am again. After what, three days of struggling and begging for help (lol) and much agonizing, I think I have reached the best decision. If it's not, it's too late, cause it's done! What I have done is make the panel blocks 10" and then took the piece that is down the middle of the butterfly blocks.....their body, in other words. It was about 1/2" wide. Well, now it's a 1/4" because after sewing a perfect 1/4" seam to attach this piece to the two parts of the wings, I went back, pressed them out, and sewed a 3/8" seam instead. And guess what.....after trimming a 1/2" off the top of the block which didn't affect any 1/4" seams, I now have a 10" butterfly block!! Yayyyyy for me. Whew! I can't believe I didn't think of this a long time ago. I hated to lose part of their cute little bodies but it will look a lot better than the jog in the sashing caused by the 1/2" difference in them. That part was really bothering me. I am so pleased now. Have spent the afternoon trimming, pressing, slivering off and re-aligning everything and I think I am good to go now with assembly! Thanks for all who helped me. I wish I could have posted a picture cause I am sure someone on this board would have seen that and made that suggestion quicker than I thought of it. Hope you all have a blessed Sunday. Thanks again!
Old 02-26-2017, 07:21 AM

or add another white fabric or two to the sashing mix. I do that all the time when I don't have enough of one.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Cat18 View Post
or add another white fabric or two to the sashing mix. I do that all the time when I don't have enough of one.
I was blessed to find another yard and 1/8th of the white at Hobby Lobby the other day so I have enough white. I have already done the new seaming and all the blocks now measure 10". I am hoping this will work out perfectly....well, that won't happen as I am certainly not a perfect sewer, but at least the sashing won't be 3/8" off. Thanks for your unput.