Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Making a decision

  1. #1
    Senior Member Reba'squilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    South East Michigan...at the bottom of the thumb!
    Posts
    727

    Making a decision

    Does anyone out there have the Designer Epic. What do you think about it. I think I love it and am teetering on the fence about buying it. Lot of $ but does everything. I love my Diamond but think I might love epic more. So if anyone has any input...would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks, Reba, aka Carol

  2. #2
    Power Poster ManiacQuilter2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    18,938
    Have you test drove this machine yet?? Make sure it has all the features that you need and want just like you do before buying a car.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

  3. #3
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Posts
    15,971
    Blog Entries
    3
    I'm not sure what it is but whatever, yep, I agree! Test Drive!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
    Have you test drove this machine yet?? Make sure it has all the features that you need and want just like you do before buying a car.

  4. #4
    Senior Member nvb50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Kankakee County in Illinois
    Posts
    490
    Not all the previous attachments work on the Epic. The Epic's bag won't fit in most trunks. I don't have the Epic, but a lady in a class has one, and she can barely manage it do to the size.

  5. #5
    Super Member nabobw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Pinellas Park Fl
    Posts
    5,016
    Blog Entries
    6
    It looks like a very interesting machine. I have the original diamond, but jut use it for embroidery and love it. They are big and heavy machines that is why I usually leave it at home.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Reba'squilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    South East Michigan...at the bottom of the thumb!
    Posts
    727
    Update...I did order the machine.it sews like a dream. Simply in love with it. It should be in today. I guess I could still bail out but do not think that is going to happen. it will not travel with me as nabobw is right. Way to big!! I remember going through this when I bought the designer 1 and then the original Diamond! I think as a wife and mom I am used to putting my desires at the bottom of the list. They are giving me 5000$ for my original Viking, I paid 1000 for it in 1975. I think I stressed over that purchase too!

  7. #7
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    8,930
    Wow, you r getting 5k for a machine you paid 1k for in 75.... I did not realize that DSMs appreciated that much.....except for FWs.....good luck with your new "appliance"........
    I am not into embroidery that much...my BL is low on the capabilities list..ok with me. My question to those who have these super duper ones...what do you do/ make with them....?

  8. #8
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,389
    Congratulations! Enjoy your new baby and be sure to show us just what she can do.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    200
    Having recently bought my own new machine, enjoy it. It's so much fun exploring what a new machine can do.

  10. #10
    Senior Member unclefreckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Bosque Farms New Mexico
    Posts
    459
    I have a Brothers Dream Machine and just finished embroidered and quilted pot holders all in the hoop. Also just used embroidery to quilt a huge quilt, embroidered sweatshirts fo my daughter. Projects are endless! I love my machine, but it is heavy to move. I just purchased Brothers Dream Fabric frame that uses my machine to free motion quilt but in smaller sections. Still learning to use this new process, but exciting!
    unclefreckles' Grandma

  11. #11
    Senior Member Reba'squilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    South East Michigan...at the bottom of the thumb!
    Posts
    727
    I want to try some of the projects that are made completely in the hoop. Did pick her up last night. Learned to wind the bobbin, thread the machine, and sew a seam. Think I am going to love this girl!!! It is BIG!!! Hope it fits in my table. The measurements say that it should...just have to try later today.

  12. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    135
    I am trying to decide whether to buy this machine....same offer in our area....$5,000.00
    off for my old Bernina until Dec. 24th.

    I wish there were more people that had them, so we could get more reviews on them.
    I think I am going to purchase it this week. Sure hoping I'm making a wise choice !!

    Enjoy !!!
    Last edited by pegstar; 12-19-2015 at 06:59 PM.

  13. #13
    Super Member sewbeadit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    4,008
    You can only do the best you can, if you have checked it out and would like it go for it. I have seen those big machines and I don't think I would have room for one of them or the $$ to buy one. Have fun, sounds awesome to me.

    Quote Originally Posted by pegstar View Post
    I am trying to decide whether to buy this machine....same offer in our area....$5,000.00
    off for my old Bernina until Dec. 24th.

    I wish there were more people that had them, so we could get more reviews on them.
    I think I am going to purchase it this week. Sure hoping I'm making a wise choice !!

    Enjoy !!!
    Sewbeadit
    W. Washington

  14. #14
    Super Member sewbeadit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    4,008
    Congratulations, sounds like you are already loving that machine. Have loads of fun and enjoy it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Reba'squilts View Post
    I want to try some of the projects that are made completely in the hoop. Did pick her up last night. Learned to wind the bobbin, thread the machine, and sew a seam. Think I am going to love this girl!!! It is BIG!!! Hope it fits in my table. The measurements say that it should...just have to try later today.
    Sewbeadit
    W. Washington

  15. #15
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    8,930
    Oh, so it seems the 5k for "trade-in" is a sales gimmick/promotion.......have fun.....

  16. #16
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    135
    Quote Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
    Oh, so it seems the 5k for "trade-in" is a sales gimmick/promotion.......have fun.....
    I agree that it is a sales gimmick....price it high and then take $5,000.00 off the price.....but after that amount
    is deducted, the machine is $1,000.00 less then what I paid at JoAnns in Ohio 10 years ago
    for the top machine

  17. #17
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    135

    Viking Epic

    Quote Originally Posted by Reba'squilts View Post
    I want to try some of the projects that are made completely in the hoop. Did pick her up last night. Learned to wind the bobbin, thread the machine, and sew a seam. Think I am going to love this girl!!! It is BIG!!! Hope it fits in my table. The measurements say that it should...just have to try later today.
    I purchased mine today as the store at JoAnns only had the $5,000 dollar off deal through today. I got it all set
    up OK...finished my granddaughters quilt today...I really liked sewing on it....sews basically like my old SE, but
    has so many more features...couldn't believe the size of the hoops compared to my SE....Now I have to learn
    how to make more lace Christmas ornaments...I have the pattern on my thumb drive that came with my SE,
    now have to figure out how to transfer them....Have a large Horn cabinet but it won't fit in it, so guess it will
    have to sit on top of it or some major renovations have to be made to my cabinet!

  18. #18
    Senior Member Reba'squilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    South East Michigan...at the bottom of the thumb!
    Posts
    727
    Another update...still in love! It does fit in my table, my husband ordered the insert for using it flush for fmq as a gift. I read the post about the dream weaver in a frame. Sounds pretty good. You will have to let us know how it works. I have a small brother machine for classes and travel....love it too! Pegstar, used the usb from the diamond for making some of the standup ornaments. Only took me two phone calls to my Viking expert to figure out how to do it. Embroiders beautifully. Front and back look the same!

  19. #19
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    135

    Making a decision

    Quote Originally Posted by Reba'squilts View Post
    Another update...still in love! It does fit in my table, my husband ordered the insert for using it flush for fmq as a gift. I read the post about the dream weaver in a frame. Sounds pretty good. You will have to let us know how it works. I have a small brother machine for classes and travel....love it too! Pegstar, used the usb from the diamond for making some of the standup ornaments. Only took me two phone calls to my Viking expert to figure out how to do it. Embroiders beautifully. Front and back look the same!
    Reba I will give the Viking gal a call on Monday....thanks for replying
    Peg

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.